Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CDC Techniques?

Sorry I should have been a bit more specific - but I figured the guys who asked knew where "here" was. "Here" is Pretoria/midrand/Joburg.

I have just double checked the packs I have and they were R21.95 and contain at least 50 feathers. They are sold under the "hooked on fly tying" brand - sort of has a picture of a stream on the pack and the logo is a black and white vice. Quite a few shops up here carry the brand but buying online might not be possible. As I mentioned they arent the greatest quality but for the price they are perfect for dubbing, stripping and just generally experimenting with.

I'm pretty sure this has been said many times before but all waterfowl are a potential source for CDC as cdc feathers are simply the feathers just aove the tail, over the preen gland. CDC translated basically means ducks bum and what makes the feathers so special is their micro structure. Normal waterfowl feathers, marabou, filoplumes etc arent going to come close to CDC.
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    Sorry I should have been a bit more specific - but I figured the guys who asked knew where "here" was. "Here" is Pretoria/midrand/Joburg.

I have just double checked the packs I have and they were R21.95 and contain at least 50 feathers. They are sold under the "hooked on fly tying" brand - sort of has a picture of a stream on the pack and the logo is a black and white vice. Quite a few shops up here carry the brand but buying online might not be possible. As I mentioned they arent the greatest quality but for the price they are perfect for dubbing, stripping and just generally experimenting with.

I'm pretty sure this has been said many times before but all waterfowl are a potential source for CDC as cdc feathers are simply the feathers just aove the tail, over the preen gland. CDC translated basically means ducks bum and what makes the feathers so special is their micro structure. Normal waterfowl feathers, marabou, filoplumes etc arent going to come close to CDC.
    Halleluiah brother!
    I better ask the T-junction to pick me up a pack or 5

Don't you guys just feel the love with all the sharing?
    No PAIN No Gain

Cool

The Spirit river is available at Frontier 100% for bodies and dubbing but may be troublesome on wings e.g F-fly.

I like your flies very neat. Technically wings are just behind the thorax. And technically both our ants should have shiny ant type bodies

I've had success on these 2 on Sterkies, and believe me the fish go selective when these fellows are on the water.

Shoot your own CDC.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by OllieOwen View Post
    Hi Nympho, I don't want to sound stupid, but can't you get the same effect with normal dubbing?? and just use cdc for the wings? Maybe I'm missing something on the pics , can see the body is also cdc but doesn't look significantly different to dubbing? Or is it just for the floating ability of cdc that you want to use it as body??
    I agree - rather make the body from black foam and use the CDC for the wing.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

When using CDC, unfortuantely, only the best will do.
    any inferior product, absorbs water, and the fly will sink.
    A handy tip, drying CDC, the best is the Kleenex 3xply tissues in a small packet.
    Squeeze the fly in the tissue and rub lightly in the tissue between fingers.
    There after you can still put the fly in the other muti bottles to get rid of the left over moisture.
    If the fish gets really picky, you will have to cut the fly off and let it dry on your fly patch. I have had instances, where the fish will only take 100% dry CDC flies. Ended up with about 5 flies on fly patch and rotating them.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

IMO Marc Petijean's cdc is the best I've used by far.

G

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
    IMO Marc Petijean's cdc is the best I've used by far.

G
    He buys his stock from Swiss CDC o)
    Only joking.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    He buys his stock from Swiss CDC o)
    Only joking.
    Ek dink jys reg anyway

G

Thanx for all the replies and suggestions guys, well appreciated!- I've got a lot of experimenting to do and I'll obviously stick with the option that works best according to my experience in the field(water)
    No PAIN No Gain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12