Thread: Changeable Action

Default Changeable Action

Hi Guys

I understand that some of the conventional rods have different tips one can fit to change the action of the rod. Has this ever been attempted with Fly Rods. I mean the butt section of the rod is pretty much the same between a fast and slow action rod (correct me if i am wrong). Wouldn't it be possible then to have the last 2 or 3 sections designed for fast and a set for slow. that is if someone would like to change between actions.

Just a thought.....

isn't the action of a rod defined by how far down the blank it bends? eg a fast action is a tip flex and a medium action is a mid flex etc (i'm asking?)

If that is the case then changing the tip may not make too much of a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    Hi Guys

I understand that some of the conventional rods have different tips one can fit to change the action of the rod. Has this ever been attempted with Fly Rods. I mean the butt section of the rod is pretty much the same between a fast and slow action rod (correct me if i am wrong). Wouldn't it be possible then to have the last 2 or 3 sections designed for fast and a set for slow. that is if someone would like to change between actions.

Just a thought.....

good question ! I think it would be quite tricky as most of the rods us fly guys use seem to set on one type of action !

maybe ?

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    isn't the action of a rod defined by how far down the blank it bends? eg a fast action is a tip flex and a medium action is a mid flex etc (i'm asking?)

If that is the case then changing the tip may not make too much of a difference?
    But correct me if i am wrong, does that go past the butt section of the rod ? Look here im talking about 4 piece rods and up.

I guess you are talking about a two piece rod Pierre? If so then I guess you could have a fast to med-fast action by changing the top section.

I wasn't really thinking of two piece rods, and the more pieces you have, the more limited you would be I guess.

I know Chris has a smallstream 3 piece rod that has a handle made that fits into the ferrule of the middle piece, making it a very short 2 piece rod, and I am sure that would make it a much slower action.

hi guys
    i once bought a rod from a carp fishing shop and he said he got a whole bunch of fly rods in at a good price. i bought a 5 wt and when i got home and looked carefully the 2 colours of the 2 piece were different greens. needless to say it casts like a donkey as i dont know what rod the tip comes from. it looks very similar in thickness etc than my other 5wt, so i wonder if you can have different tips?
    cheers
    roland