Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Fuzzy Bug yarn

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    North of the boerewors curtain
    Posts
    2,182

    Default Fuzzy Bug yarn

    A buddy and I went off to the new shop that opened in Pretoria on Saturday. Not very big but they carry a good array of materials - one more shop up here cant hurt. Think that brings the us to five retaislers that carry decent amounts of fly stuff.

    One of the materials I bought was a spool of "fuzzy bug" body yarn. Its basically a very sparse chennille and its marketed by fishient (http://www.fishient.com/materials_.html and then click on "fuzzy bug"). I tied a few flies with it today and its amazing! Its so much quicker than using dubbing while at the same time being stronger, easier to lay down evenly etc Unfortunately you cant blend colours like you can with dubbing but I'm sure you could experiment with underlying thread colours to get some interesting effects. For R25 a spool you cant go wrong...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Check your knots!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Gansters Paradise
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Been using it for a long time now...used to bring it straight from the States. Mainly Gold...for bodies on MSP flies etc, and then olive and brown for nymphs, and also white for clousers. Awesome stuff...glad to see they stock it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Parys, Free State
    Posts
    10,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    A buddy and I went off to the new shop that opened in Pretoria on Saturday. Not very big but they carry a good array of materials - one more shop up here cant hurt. Think that brings the us to five retaislers that carry decent amounts of fly stuff.

    One of the materials I bought was a spool of "fuzzy bug" body yarn. Its basically a very sparse chennille and its marketed by fishient (http://www.fishient.com/materials_.html and then click on "fuzzy bug"). I tied a few flies with it today and its amazing! Its so much quicker than using dubbing while at the same time being stronger, easier to lay down evenly etc Unfortunately you cant blend colours like you can with dubbing but I'm sure you could experiment with underlying thread colours to get some interesting effects. For R25 a spool you cant go wrong...
    Me and Mario musta been to hammered to have seen u.

    Leke shop that.

    G

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Eastern Cape
    Posts
    6,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    A buddy and I went off to the new shop that opened in Pretoria on Saturday. Not very big but they carry a good array of materials - one more shop up here cant hurt. Think that brings the us to five retaislers that carry decent amounts of fly stuff.

    One of the materials I bought was a spool of "fuzzy bug" body yarn. Its basically a very sparse chennille and its marketed by fishient (http://www.fishient.com/materials_.html and then click on "fuzzy bug"). I tied a few flies with it today and its amazing! Its so much quicker than using dubbing while at the same time being stronger, easier to lay down evenly etc Unfortunately you cant blend colours like you can with dubbing but I'm sure you could experiment with underlying thread colours to get some interesting effects. For R25 a spool you cant go wrong...
    Love the sparse effect, nice stuff, price good and nice flies.

    Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Parys, Free State
    Posts
    10,023

    Default

    Ur best fly to date from what I've seen.Cool stuff.

    It must be a bod send to chuck that spool in the bobbin hey???

    G
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 17-11-08 at 06:23 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    1,352

    Default

    that stuff looks great , what other colours do they have Dave ?

    cheers

    Ty

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    715

    Default

    Nice fly, I'm sure it will work a treat. The stuff is very handy to make thorax's on caddis flies such as control patterns.
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

    Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    North of the boerewors curtain
    Posts
    2,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tye2 View Post
    that stuff looks great , what other colours do they have Dave ?

    cheers

    Ty
    They only had it in the one colour, but on the fishient website they have links to loads of colours so Adrian could probably get it for you if you dont fancy ordering online.

    Thanks for the compliments on the flies everyone, lets hope the fish agree.
    Check your knots!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    1,352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    They only had it in the one colour, but on the fishient website they have links to loads of colours so Adrian could probably get it for you if you dont fancy ordering online.

    Thanks for the compliments on the flies everyone, lets hope the fish agree.
    Thanks Dave

    Adrians been a busy man with the shop opening ! I'm still waiting for some feedback for you ! I'll push again this week if there is still no feedback !

    thanks

    Tye

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    North of the boerewors curtain
    Posts
    2,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tye2 View Post
    Thanks Dave

    Adrians been a busy man with the shop opening ! I'm still waiting for some feedback for you ! I'll push again this week if there is still no feedback !

    thanks

    Tye
    Thanks boet, appreciate it!
    Check your knots!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •