Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bass (LM) on Fly

Default Bass (LM) on Fly

I have had a quick sift through the threads on bass but am not finding what I am particularly looking for.

For those who ff for LM bass, what flies do you find to work the best? I have not yet caught bass on fly and am really struggling with this at the moment . I have tried poppers and "wet" flies and nothing (bass flies). Yet, when I put a Zoom C tail June Bug Worm on a normal rod, fish on. I have a fly that looks and reacts almost identically to the "plastic", but nothing.
    Clive

"One final cast for luck, and the really last throw in honour of a fair lady ... If they don't rise to that, they are no gentlemen" - Anon

I have caught some nice bass on a concoction of my own. Black marabou tail(a lot) and then the marabou wrapped forward for a body and another generous clump of marabou for a sort of wing on top of the fly. lotta crystal flash stuff in the tail and beadchain eyes. The bass werent that smart. dunno if this helps???? I heard that poppers are a must. that doesnt help you though...

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Woolybugger View Post
    I have caught some nice bass on a concoction of my own. Black marabou tail(a lot) and then the marabou wrapped forward for a body and another generous clump of marabou for a sort of wing on top of the fly. lotta crystal flash stuff in the tail and beadchain eyes. The bass werent that smart. dunno if this helps???? I heard that poppers are a must. that doesnt help you though...

Cheers
    Thanks Chris. Will see if I can tie up some of these.
    Clive

"One final cast for luck, and the really last throw in honour of a fair lady ... If they don't rise to that, they are no gentlemen" - Anon

DO you fish in clear or muddy water?

If you fish in clear water and you can sight fish its better, the dirty water is quite hit and miss, sometimes you will get the bass to mouth the fly and spit it even before you know he had it in its mouth. Cast at structure and hope fore the best. If you know the bass is there or if you can see the fish, SLOW THINGS DOWN....use flies with lots of movement, zonker marrabou are my fav. put the fly and just twitch it to get his attention, keep it stil until it looks like he is loosing interest, twitch it again, this might take long but you will piss him off sooner or later and he will eat it. try it, it works. Use the same tactic on your popper.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

HI Clive,

Deewy gave you sound advice. Remember that bass are not trout. In dirty water use big noisy or flies that push lots of water as in action. Clearer water is obviously better as colour at a distance attracts them. If you dont get fish on the surface go down. Reading structure and dropoffs after a while gets easier. Try for big bass, f..... the small ones, big flies and poppers etc. Places to get good bass are places you will be scared to fish for fear of hooking up and losing flies. After a while you will also get the hang of it. FF for bass is close contact, no need for lenghy casts. Accuracy is the name of the game.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

There are a few tactics that need mentioning. I tend to fish big flies, the bigger the better, that elliminates the small buggers automatically. Poppers are definitely my favourite way of targeting bass. But it depends on the depth of water the fish are hanging in. Fishing a popper if the fish are 5m down would be frustating.. In low light conditions with a high pressure system in the shallows poppers are extremely successful! A twitch every now and again with a decent pause inbetween works wonders. Another rig I started using a while ago is a popper with chaser fly about 30-50cm behind the popper. For the chaser I use Fire Tiger Clousers or big Zonkers. More often than not the fish will follow the popper but refuse to take it, but with the chaser fly my strike rate went up considerably. If the bass are in deep water I still prefer to use conventional bass tackle. You have more control and you can fish completely weedless. Fishing weedless is very important seeing that fish hang in the thickest of brush and structure. So target grass beds, trees in water, rocky dropoffs, flowing inlets etc.I should also admit that all my biggest fish have come out on fly. I'm gonna stop now before I get carried away!

Great advice from Dave and SweetLou. We forget about accurate casting when we go to stillwaters, some of us. Everyone wants to make the full cast, however for the bigger bass, as the guys said, under the ***kest branches or impossible ff areas, thats where in theory they should be. In theory
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

My advice would be to fish extra slow at this time of the year.If large flies are not working go down to the #8-12 range,flashback nymphs,beadies,small dragon fly nymphs etc.If it is possible sightfishing is the way to go,move your fly in small increments,preferably use a fly that is visible at all times.I normally stick to the rule of "your fly dissappears you strike".It is not advisible to strike with your rod but rather a quick pull of the fly line (about 30cm max).If it is not possible to see the fly at all times then one must use observation of fly line, when your fly line is starting to slow down or comes to a "stop" during the retrieve,normally bass are following your fly "mouthing" it. I used a combination of both techniques to catch the bass posted in my fishing album.

Eisch. Fantastic guys. Thank you to all of you for the advise. Will have to up my game I see. Watch this space for pics of my 1st bass on fly . Thanks again.

Clive
    Clive

I am scared to mention the name .... but the fly I have had the MOST success on with LMB is a #6 Mrs Simpson ... preferably with a few flashabou strips tied in!!

Usually fished SLOWLY
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast