Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Thread: Fishing in the Port Elizabeth area.

8:30 this morning i decided to go anyway as its my last day here. pops , we missed out big time - light breeze and overcast until 12:00. anyway , i fished from the side which is tough going in the timber forests - got 29 fish including 3 bass of ~1kg and a decent fish messed me up on the 3WT. those big bluegills again delivered the most fun you can have with a light rod.first gill of the day that slapped the gurgler was just shy of 10 inches(what a way to start) twice i thought a good bass nailed the gurgler as these bulls buckled that rod only to realise its a gill. i'm gonna miss these fish.
    dave , thanks for sharing - pops' pond is now my pond x

by the way ,fishing from the side i saw hordes of fry in the shallows. i think they're the reason why those big bass was so finicky on our previous session(pops is tops thread).
    check out the mayakka minnow on flyanglersonline.com - could be a solution.
    Last edited by flybum; 02-01-09 at 05:29 PM.

Herman,

Hi and Happy New Year!

I'm sure you know the following, but for our guys who maybe havn't experienced same:

I've also noticed small fry imitations in the shallows can be killers for bass and hungry trout. EC and KZN dams in particular virtually year-round depending on the species of fry - a much overlooked fishing technique by those who think Rapalas/Drop Shot () are the only way to go. Even if the 'naturals' aren't around, a prospecting imitation may lure those opportunistic feeders.

At present we've little kurper also bass fry in our local dam, and hopefully once the water clears after all the rain/sediment, the bass and other fish will be working on herding them into the shallows! Bring on the stealthy casting into the margins with heavy tippets and 24 hours with no rain!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

HI BRU,

If you answered your phone we were good. Pity you saw it late. Glad you were MAD enough to go anyway, dont worry boet, while you are away, I'll get the nice fish ready for your next trip. 29 Fish from the side is good going, shows you, if you know how, it's good fishing. Next time bring Conrad with. Was great meeting and ff with you. go well!!

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

To Jauno and Herman, drive safely on your way home today. Hope Ettienne and his daughter had a good flight home yesterday. It has been a pleasure meeting and ff with you guys, and meeting your family was a bonus for Melanie and I. Feel welcome in the future to get together again, will remain in my memory always.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

dave , thanks again for going out of your way to accommadate - much appreciated and as you could tell by my hollering - i enjoyed it.
    just got back in jo town - and its raining
    hitting the vaal tommorrow as the family is still on holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by flybum View Post
    dave , thanks again for going out of your way to accommadate - much appreciated and as you could tell by my hollering - i enjoyed it.
    just got back in jo town - and its raining
    hitting the vaal tommorrow as the family is still on holiday.
    Good to see you are home safe. Let us know how the ff goes. Glad you have hijacked ''my pond'' anytime you guys are down, hope we get good rains to get it back up to full.

Dave

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17