Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Stren Coils" - Have you tried it yet?

Default "Stren Coils" - Have you tried it yet?

This creates a section of coiled spring made out of nylon mono which allows the trout to take the fly without feeling resistance. As a result you get a more confident take and therefore you hook more fish.

Well that's the theory behind it.

To make Stren Coils you need some 25lb test Stren Nylon mono. Get a length about 20 cm long and put a loop in either end. Now coil the line tightly around something like a bud, used for cleaning out your ears. Then wrap the outside so thet it doesn't uncoil and put it into hot water. The line after an hour or two will look like a coiled spring.

Tie this in near the top of the leader, chuck out with a bung on the line and be prepared for some violent takes as the trout hook themselves.

But is it fly fishing?

Ron ... a post on this was done in here a while back ... I think it may have been initiated by Korrie if my failing memory serves me .... describing it as a combination indicator/shock leader ... personally I ahven't tried it .. but it seems to have potential for certain applications
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

We don't call them Sten Coils down here in Ceres. We call them Korrie Drolle

hahaha! Will this create a spring effect even when the fish is on?? will this then help with a lighter tippet too??? what do you think?? or is it only for the take?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Woolybugger View Post
    hahaha! Will this create a spring effect even when the fish is on?? will this then help with a lighter tippet too??? what do you think?? or is it only for the take?

Cheers
    for the take .. when using light tippets ... a shock leader DOES make a big difference
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.

Ron
    I saw it the first time in France 2002 at the worlds. Being used by the French.
    Since then I have fished with the coils and have advocated the use of them.
    I know in a recent Pom magazine Ian Barr, wrote an article about it.
    It works superb.
    Thru the years I have modified and changed the original version as per the magazine.
    In certain conditions there are modifications that work much better. The Yellow coils as per Ian Barr's article don't always work in the Cape streams.
    The Yellow gets lost against the water and rock color. Sometimes it is better to have a red coil.
    In certain conditions it is better to have much more open coils, that the thight "spring" coils.
    You don't have to leave it in hot water for hours. 2 minutes is enough then a glass of cold water and they are fine.
    The loops on either end is also not my favourite, although the help when you want to change.
    I prefer to tie them on with a slim beauty knot. The knots slide much easier thru the guides.
    But these are only my humble opinions.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Fario View Post
    We don't call them Sten Coils down here in Ceres. We call them Korrie Drolle
    do they float? ... a BUNG!!!!

They float when you grease them up in mucilin.

Quite honestly I have never used a Stren coil as I don't have the gall to at the moment. I wondered if any of you in SA had and what you had found out about them.

I am told that some fisheries in the UK are starting to ban them, just as they have banned boobies.

It's not cricket old boy!

Can't see why they want to ban them?
    All it does it makes the takes easier to see.
    You can fish with a colored mono and grease it up and the result will be the same to the trained eye. the colored line is easier to see. The coils gives you a target to focus on. It is very similar to fishing with an indicator tied to you line.
    Fishing with coils, requires a little adjustment to your techinque, But if you don't know how to fish them, it won't help.
    Try it you might like it. You might even be able to catch a fish as well
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

HI GUYS,

This coil method, would it not affect your casting or presentation?, wind resistance.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast