Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eels in the Molenaars

Default Eels in the Molenaars

This weekend, I met up with one of the guys who used to regularly fish the lower Smalblaar and Molenaars. Going back to the days before catch and release, and even before the beat system was introduced, he told me about a species of eel that was regularly caught on fly in these sections. It was news to me, as I have never seen these things and neither have I heared of anyone else ever seeing them.
    Do any of the older guys know anything about these eels that regularly used to make an appearance?

The big pool at EP 1 every now and again produced an eel. Have not heard about an eel for the last 2 or 3 years.
    But they make good eating.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

If that is Anguilla mossambiqua, it will ineed make very good eating. These are the eels of the Mozambique channel that used to run the rivers of Southern Africa before pollution soured many of the estuaries.

I have caught A mossambiqua in estuaries in the Transkei. The biggest eel I ever caught came from Morgenstond Dam way back in the 80s. It weighed 4 1/2 kg.

Unless your western cape streams end up in the Indian Ocean, it is highly unlikely that there are eels in those streams. Possibly there was confusion between rivers?

For interest's sake, where do those rivers mouthe by the way?

They are tributaries of the breede which mouths at witsand. This is between cape point and cape aghulas - i am not 100% as to where the Indian ocean ends and the Atlantic starts, but it is pretty close to the Indian ocean.
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by clarias View Post
    Unless your western cape streams end up in the Indian Ocean, it is highly unlikely that there are eels in those streams. Possibly there was confusion between rivers?

For interest's sake, where do those rivers mouthe by the way?
    When the rivers are not in flood, they disperse into nothing, due to 100% irrigation draw off. When they are in spate, they flow into the Bree, which emties into the sea. It would not be possible for any species to migrate from the Bree due to both natural and artificial barriers, even thogh the Bree has a health population of eels. If the eels were able to migrate, so would every other undesirable thing in the bree, and we have none of these.

Andre, Eels have existed in all the Breede tributaries for as long as I can remember, going back to a wee lad of 6 years old. You can expect to find them in most of the deep dark pools in all the trout streams that River. The Witels for example is full of them. Many a night whilst cleaning fish for supper in the 'good' old catch and keep days, we'd have eels coming and grabbing the intestines right at our feet. I've never caught one on fly, but then again, as you know, I seldom fish below the surface
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    When the rivers are not in flood, they disperse into nothing, due to 100% irrigation draw off. When they are in spate, they flow into the Bree, which emties into the sea. It would not be possible for any species to migrate from the Bree due to both natural and artificial barriers, even thogh the Bree has a health population of eels. If the eels were able to migrate, so would every other undesirable thing in the bree, and we have none of these.
    I am not sure if I am understanding you correctly, but there is no such thing as barriers as far as eels are concerned. They are masters at scaling even the highest waterfalls...don't be fooled boet!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    I am not sure if I am understanding you correctly, but there is no such thing as barriers as far as eels are concerned. They are masters at scaling even the highest waterfalls...don't be fooled boet!
    Ok, fair enough. Yes what this gent did say, was exactly as you put it. The eels eating the trout guts at their feet. Your story is identical to his Chris, just different river. I am going to assume they are still there, and hope to see one, one day. Perhaps I will gut a trout on the Molenaars....

I started the following thread on eels in the kloofs a while back Andre, you may find it interesting. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...ht=eels&page=6

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast