Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Foam shop in CPT ?

Gogga Banned User

Here is another trick you can do with a little foam.

You can tie these on standard or longshank hooks, although I'm starting to favour long shanks, as the fish often take 'short' with this style of fly.

Hook: Standard or long shank saltwater (Tiemco 911s used here)

Thread: Danvilles flat waxed.

Tail: DNA Holofusion.

Body: Thin foam sheet, Fritz.

Step 1: Lay a base of thread from eye to just beyond half shank (full shank with standard hook).

Step 2: Tie in tail along hook shank. Take a pice of flat foam about 12mm wide and trim a tang to match length of body.

Step 3: Tie in foam tang along the shank with open turns (Try not to compress foam too much). Catch in fritz at rear of body and wind thread back to head.

Gogga Banned User

Step 4: Wind fritz along body to head and tie off.

Step 5: Fold foam forwards and tie down at head leaving enough room to finish head behind eye.

Step 6: Build up a bump of thread behind eye and whip finish. Trim foam to just in front of eye.

All the best
    Mike

Mike,

What is this fly called?
    Forester by profession, flyfisherman for life.

Gogga Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by mariusjonker View Post
    Mike,

What is this fly called?

Hey Marius, I don't have a specific name for that one - guess its a gurgler for want of a better description. skated along the surface - it's bloody deadly - caught stacks of fish on it all over the show.

All the best
    Mike

bought some stuff from sondor and if three or four of you club in you going to tie a bunch of flies from the sheet for minimal outlay. i also got a 12mm thick by 135mm wide by 1.8m length for about R15.00 but i think if you get the right person they will give you the piece once they know it's for recreation. i got the best part of a sheet here if anyone wants to try.
    cheers

Try Sondor In Pinelands - They Make Foam For All Industries!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12