Thread: Saltwater advice - a good read

Default Saltwater advice - a good read

Hi Guys

I have seen a lot of the guys on the forum are going to the salt for the holidays and have been asking advise/flies and methods for the salt . Last night while reading the latest issue of The complete flyfisherman i found an article for 5 of the go to salt flies and valuable info on species to target and basically any info a newbie would be in need of . If you can get the latest mag it will definately help you

Cheers

Adrian
    "My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."

I my option you need advise when you start to salt water fly fish in fact all you can get (there is a lot of book knowledge available to you and they make for fantastic resources)--- but at the end of the day it is time spent on the water. Saltwater is a fantastic environment to fish in with so many variables playing a role. Tides, wind feeding patterns bait fish size and so the list goes on and on an for example a hour this side or that of the tide can have a huge impact. They key is to learn the water u fish and the behaviour of the species that you targeting. This not something that you develop in a week’s time you need to put in the hours. You need to develop your patterns re develop them it --- and then to make it fun next season the rules of engagement has changed so it is back to the drawing board. Saltwater fly fishing is not an accidental occasion bud a consistent pursuit.

Quote Originally Posted by juan View Post
    I my option you need advise when you start to salt water fly fish in fact all you can get (there is a lot of book knowledge available to you and they make for fantastic resources)--- but at the end of the day it is time spent on the water. Saltwater is a fantastic environment to fish in with so many variables playing a role. Tides, wind feeding patterns bait fish size and so the list goes on and on an for example a hour this side or that of the tide can have a huge impact. They key is to learn the water u fish and the behaviour of the species that you targeting. This not something that you develop in a week’s time you need to put in the hours. You need to develop your patterns re develop them it --- and then to make it fun next season the rules of engagement has changed so it is back to the drawing board. Saltwater fly fishing is not an accidental occasion bud a consistent pursuit.
    Hi Juan

I agree saltwater fly fishing is a constant pursuit . Thanks for the advise for the guys who dont regulary fish the salt

Cheers

Adrian
    "My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."