View Poll Results: THE PERFECT ALL-ROUND SM YELLOWFISH ROD (answer more than ONE box)

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • LENGTH: 9'

24 35.82%
  • LENGTH: 9'6"

10 14.93%
  • LENGTH: 10'

33 49.25%
  • ACTION: fast

26 38.81%
  • ACTION: medium

30 44.78%
  • ACTION: slow

2 2.99%
  • LINE WEIGHT: 4wt

2 2.99%
  • LINE WEIGHT: 5wt

38 56.72%
  • LINE WEIGHT: 6wt

23 34.33%
  • OTHER (please specify below)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: The ideal sm yellowfish rod

Default The ideal sm yellowfish rod

I would like input from the experts in here as to what you consider the PERFECT rod for general SM Yellowfish angling. It is something I know very little about and would value any input.

Thanks
    Jasper
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

That is going to give you endless answers.Each person has his favourite outfit so let me tell you what i like to use.I use the explorer guide 9"6 rod,Rio grand line and a ross start reel.The rods extra length gives the reach while nymphing and is slightly wippier than other rods, but I find it gives a nice presentation at shorter distances.It is not a distance rod though.

Jasper
    For me the best on the market when comparing price versus performance is the (local brand sold by a company who is owned by david levene) 10" Magnun #5.
    After that my (english word for wisdom, or the name of a herb) XP 11" #6.

The advantage of the (local company owned by david levene) is that it is a fantastic small still water rod as well.
    Last edited by Korrie; 27-11-08 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Deleting brand names. :)
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Hi Jasper,

U say general but I'd like to wiggle your view/mind a bit.

Dry flies
    Nymphs
    Buggers

For the above applications I would seriously not go heavier than a 6wt and lower than a 5wt.I fish a 10footer 5wt and I've found it to be adequite in fact perfect for all applications.

Disclaimer
    Please members, let's not make this a rod brand thing again.

The only one from above where your 6wt might be a better choice is when u hook into other big specimen fishing buggers.

I've landed 12lbers on my 5wt.The backbone of my Teeny stood the test with ease,sore arm but I managed just fine.

Going lower than 5 is probably fine BUT,I'LL ONLY DO THIS WHEN FISHING DRIES TO 1KG JOBBIES.U HAVE TO BE 100% CERTAIN AND UNFORTUNATELY NOTHING IS.

So, I stick with a 5wt.

G
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 27-11-08 at 06:04 PM.

Gerrit .. let me re-word the poll ... if/when I go into the market .. what would be best specs as a general purpose/go-to rod for SMY?

(and yes .. please no brand names .. or IT will start all over again!)
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    Gerrit .. let me re-word the poll ... if/when I go into the market .. what would be best specs as a general purpose/go-to rod for SMY?

(and yes .. please no brand names .. or IT will start all over again!)
    Jasper,

My expert opinion says 5wt 10ft.Choose your own brand,I have mine.

G

Booger Rose Banned User

6wt rod with lots of backbone, 9ft at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Jasper
    For me the best on the market when comparing price versus performance is the (local brand sold by a company who is owned by david levene) 10" Magnun #5.
    After that my (english word for wisdom, or the name of a herb) XP 11" #6.

The advantage of the (local company owned by david levene) is that it is a fantastic small still water rod as well.
    HEHEHEHEHEHEHE!! ... good one Korrie!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    angling.
    As long as you have the "mielie pitte" or pap any rod will do.

Net 'n grappie

Also,when u short line or proper czn the extra foot(10ft rod) makes a difference.A whole 30.48cm to be exact.

G

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
    Hi Jasper,

U say general but I'd like to wiggle your view/mind a bit.

Dry flies
    Nymphs
    Buggers

For the above applications I would seriously not go heavier than a 6wt and lower than a 5wt.I fish a 10footer 5wt and I've found it to be adequite in fact perfect for all applications.

Disclaimer
    Please members, let's not make this a rod brand thing again.

The only one from above where ur 6wt might be a better choice is when u hook into other big specimen fishing buggers.

I've landed 12lbers on my 5wt.The backbone of my Teeny stood the test with ease,sore arm but I managed just fine.

Going lower than 5 is probably fine BUT,I'LL ONLY DO THIS WHEN FISHING DRIES TO 1KG JOBBIES.U HAVE TO BE 100% CERTAIN AND UNFORTUNATELY NOTHING IS.

So I stick to a 5wt.

G
    If you can only have one rod then I agree with Gerrit, well sort of. I'd take a 6# 10 footer simply because I catch bigger fish than him

If you're purely after sm yellows in a more numbers orientated game then read Andre's posts about the lighter "mix of black and white" rods.

If you're looking for a rod you can use for nymphing, casting dries and the odd pitcch at barbel and carp then the 10foot 6# that that lefty guys puts his name on are a winner. Fantastic service from the agents too. You might even be able to hookup a family discount
    Check your knots!

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast