Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mullet in Kleinmond

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    Lets hope they stay until the 12th of december.

I was talking about the Piscator coming out in November
    THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."
    ~by Jon Margolis and Jeff MacNelly

Quote Originally Posted by Morne View Post
    I was talking about the Piscator coming out in November
    OOPS,

OK,lets ask again anyone know antthing about Mullet in Kleinmond and when they are normally there?
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

I often wondered what you looked like,now is that a recent picture or you in your prime
    Not even close.

Far less hair and I shoite bigger than that lightweight....

As for the fish, I seem to recall being able to net them all year round in my yoof. The biggest were to be found in the surf with the younger schools often found in water 3-4" deep along and over sand bars in lagoons. They tend to browse in the calmer water and may be amenable to taking a fly on really lightweight tackle. Always wanted to get one on fly but found the shotgun approach to be more effective for bait gathering.
    Last edited by Lardbeast; 28-11-08 at 07:53 AM.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. H. L. Mencken

Every decent man is ashamed of his government.

Quote Originally Posted by Lardbeast View Post

As for the fish, I seem to recall being able to net them all year round in my yoof. The biggest were to be found in the surf with the younger schools often found in water 3-4" deep along and over sand bars in lagoons. They tend to browse in the calmer water and may be amenable to taking a fly on really lightweight tackle. Always wanted to get one on fly but found the shotgun approach to be more effective for bait gathering.
    Looks like i might be in for some fun,if i canfind the pesky little blighters.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Get into the water and just walk about slowly in the shallows. You'll see them darting off if they get spooked. Watch your shadow. Try the edge of gullies and semi submerged sandbanks, particularly at slack tide. Any areas where algae or other edible detritus is visible is good. Also, check for darker coloured backgrounds as they blend in better there and seem to favour them.
    Last edited by Lardbeast; 28-11-08 at 09:11 AM.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. H. L. Mencken

Every decent man is ashamed of his government.

Lets hope they stay until the 12th of december.
    what? Piscators or Mullet?
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Nick .. speaking as one famous Carp angler to another .... BREAD FLY!! ... chum with bread then when they arrive in numbers throw in a white fly (or two) - something like a small white death suspended below a whitish high-bouyancy dry. (ask Philip when you see him next). It works!!

alternatively attach a piece of bread to a fly hook!!!
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.

... also read the article on MUllet in the "Main Page"

As you are probably aware, mullet are an obiquitous species living in river mouths, harbours and estuaries world wide. During the summer months they populate the shores of Great Britain and are caught most commonly on bread - plain white bread flake pinched on a hook with float tackle. An ordinary waggler float set up does very well. If you don't know what that is, then you haven't done much reading or travelling in your life.

I have caught mullet on the fly rod - many years ago from the rocks at Scottburgh south of Durban. I used a plain black buzzer imitation tied on a size 10 hook.

If you can find a bit of quiet water in a gully or near to a harbour wall, you might introduce some sloppy mashed up bread as groundbait. The you could try a bit of white ethafoam fastened to the hook and weighted with tungsten putty so that it sinkes at the same rate as the mashed bread. A bung or strike indicator on the leader will help with bite detection.

The mullet is a fine sporting fish that takes skill to outwit and on top of that they fight like crazey. I have never bothered eating them as they are not known as a table fish. That's probably why many South African sea anglers consider them to be rubbish fish.

I never did.

Treat them like bonefish which also make rubbish eating.

Jasper you beat me to it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast