Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What method off tying on your leader

Thanks Mike

Do you make this knot on your flyline or on the leader??
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

MC - this is slightly off the subject of the thread, but what knot do you recommend for attaching backing to flyline - for saltwater FF that is.I currently use the albright.

THANKS A MILLION MC!!!

That sound like the way to go,then the next question....Where can I find some off this braid??
    And is there a specific way to make them or is it pretty easy.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Backing to flyline connections are even more important than leader to flyline.

Here I normally (eight to ten weight rods) use a braided loop on the flyline which is connected to the backing (normal 30 lbs micron) via a loop-to-loop connection with a Bimini creating the loop in the backing.

On the heavier rods or on the lighter rods, depending on application, most guys now use 50lbs super braid as backing and here things get a little more complicated. The Gellspun / super braid lines will cut through the braid if there is any movement in the connection. The solution is to again create a double line with a Bimini and then use the double section to tie a fifteen turn Albright knot onto the braided loop. Finish this knot off with a lock knot and add some knot sense to the lock knot only.

If you use this connection and actually want to change lines regularly, then this causes a problem in that the knot has to be re-tied every time. To solve this problem you can either simply fish shooting heads where the connection can be semi-permanent or in the alternative you can create a long (20 cm) double sided loop and then simply connect the backing to the one side as suggested. This will then still leave you with another loop for fast changes.

Gellspun is the way to go as it allows you to use relatively small reels while still retaining a large enough line capacity.

The best Braid is Cortland 50 lbs braided running line. A second option is the old 80 lbs Dacron backing lines, but I prefer the Cortland. Ask a fly shop to order some for you. They can sell it in two metre lengths.

Hope you could follow my explanation guys.

Cheers
    MC

Thanks MC I find it helps when these techniques can be demonstrated live - so to speak.I think you need to give a talk at the CPS one of thease days so that we can see how all of this is done.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12