Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CDL Parachute Dry Fly

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    I would like to see a fly tied with paint brush fibres for the hackle.
    Why on earth would you want to????
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

2. Default

Last word out of my mouth on Paint Brushes in this thread ....

I think the comment about using Paintbrush fibres as a replacement for CDL quite a while ago, was just another chirp from someone not a) having used CDL properly, or used proper CDL b) not given any thought as to what he was saying, and c) just plain silly imho. Nothing is a replacement for CDL.

Numerous requests have been made for someone to show how the PB Hackle is done, but alas - nothing has been shown.

Another case of keyboard tying if you ask me ... Myth Busted!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

If memory serves me correctly, the talk of using paint brush bristles had nothing to do with CDL, or hackling at all. I think they were mentioned as an alternative to Microfibbetts as a tailing material. I've never tried this, but as someone who has used a lot of paintbrushes in my time, I can sorta see what whoever it was that mentioned it, was getting at.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    If memory serves me correctly, the talk of using paint brush bristles had nothing to do with CDL, or hackling at all. I think they were mentioned as an alternative to Microfibbetts as a tailing material. I've never tried this, but as someone who has used a lot of paintbrushes in my time, I can sorta see what whoever it was that mentioned it, was getting at.
    Hi Shaun. Nope, the suggestion in that thread was about replacing CDL with koki'd paintbrush bristles, as CDL was too pricey, and not as good as the painbrush. I remember this because I was like WTF??

Yes, with tails, I'm in agreement that you can use PB as replacement to fibbets. But as for hackling material (as was mentioned in the thread), ja well ....

I suppose you COULD do a split-thread, place some PB in there (would have to glue it I suppose), and wind. Anyway ...
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Mario, in that case, I obviously missed that one and am equally stumped!

It wasn't about using it for hackle, but as tails.

http://flytalk.co.za/forum/showpost....7&postcount=40
    THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."
    ~by Jon Margolis and Jeff MacNelly

Sorry for the confusion guys, I was under the impresion someone was going to tie a fly with paint brush fibre hackle.
    Yes I do agree there is no substitute for CDL but up untill recently it has been very expensive not readily available, so people have tried to come up with different materials. So at the end of the day if you are happy using a certain material and it catches fish then go for it cheers.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Morne View Post
    It wasn't about using it for hackle, but as tails.

http://flytalk.co.za/forum/showpost....7&postcount=40
    Thanks Morne, but I'm sure there was something about hackling as well. Anyway, debate for another thread in 2009
    Mario Geldenhuys

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12