Thread: Barbel caught at Orange

Default Barbel caught at Orange

Hi guys. Guess where I am? Yip, the good old Orange again. Did not catch this on fly rod but thought worth sharing.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Clive
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Clive

"One final cast for luck, and the really last throw in honour of a fair lady ... If they don't rise to that, they are no gentlemen" - Anon

HI Clive,

Thats a mean looking barbel, must have given a good rev. A Merry Xmas to you and yours.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

fark me! I thought i'd caught a few decent size barcel lately but thats a beast... Did you weigh it or measure it? Looks like a real beast, fly tackle or not.
    Check your knots!

naaah...small one...Salty is a short guy and he isnt very wide

GREAt one that. Have you got vital stats on it and what did it take and how long before you got it out?
    Well done!!
    KarelM
    PS: just as well it wasnt on fly....you would have snapped I recon!!!
    Holy cows make the best steaks.

Unfortunately it was not on fly. I don't know what weight would have held it. The locals weighed it at just over 30kg's. And apparently it has bigger aunts and uncles.

I was using chicken livers with 30 lb mono on one of my boat rods. It almost bent a 1/0 stainless steel hook straight. Once I managed to turn him, the fight lasted about 15 - 20 min. It was good to feel the "deep burn" again. Eisch.
    Clive

"One final cast for luck, and the really last throw in honour of a fair lady ... If they don't rise to that, they are no gentlemen" - Anon

Quote Originally Posted by Salty Bugger View Post
    Unfortunately it was not on fly. I don't know what weight would have held it. The locals weighed it at just over 30kg's. And apparently it has bigger aunts and uncles.

I was using chicken livers with 30 lb mono on one of my boat rods. It almost bent a 1/0 stainless steel hook straight. Once I managed to turn him, the fight lasted about 15 - 20 min. It was good to feel the "deep burn" again. Eisch.
    Well done Clive.
    Just looking at the pics 30kg seems about right. The SA record ( 47kg's if memory serves,) comes from the Orange, caught at night off a raft with a carp head as bait.
    Happy fishing
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

That is a good fish indeed!!

Great stuff.

And for those that alsways talk about big fish but bever post the picture, here is how you do it.
    "VermoŽns is wat mens in staat is om te doen... Motivering, bepaal wat mens doen... Gesindheid bepaal HOE mens dit doen.." ¨ Lou Holtz