Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Peacock Bass in The amazon

Default Peacock Bass in The amazon

Hi
    Has anyone any ideas or knows which flies work best for peacock bass in the Amazon, I have a mate going to the Amazon in Feb and he has asked me to find out about fly patterns, sizes and colors.
    Any help will be apreciated.
    Thanks

I will have a look later when back home, but Lefty Kreh has a written a book called "bass fishing" or something along those lines...

There is a chapter on peacock bass , with fly patterns that work and some of his tactics/tips and experiences. Probably a good bet to make the most of the holiday... (Got my copy online from a certain "local" bookseller )

Will look though and post some info on the flies suggested/recommended
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

Thanks very much any help will be apreciated

Sure thing! 1 more tidbit : Peacock bass are not true sunfish.

They are actually a turbo-charged, over-sized cichlid that looks and behaves like a bass!

I also recall a magazine article a few years back (2004 I think) in tcff or flyfishing on tips and tactics for peacock bass, I will look and see if I can find em.
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

there was an article a while back in one of the local mags as mark said.maybe your mate can order a copy of the mag from them.will help to have some extra info...esp on a trip to somewhere remote like that....
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Check here:

http://www.peacockbassonline.com/peacocks_fly.html

http://www.westsideadventures.com/pe...s/tackle.shtml

http://www.sweetwaterflyshop.com/Flies/Peacock+Bass

Looks like water dogs / Dahlberg divers / deceivers and clousers should do the trick...

Ok, Lefty says:

"I tied up a number of Lefty's deceivers with a total length of between 5 and 8 inches - peacocks do want a large image to strike. But I dress the flies on a relatively small #1/0 hook, which made the flies so much easier to cast and allowed us to use somewhat lighter and less tiring rods.
    We found the best color combination for our deciever patterns was a white wing with some pearl flashabou or crystal flash, a white bucktail for the collar, and a topping that ran from the hook eye more than halfway back of the fly either ultra hair or bucktail in a bright chartreuse color. Another pattern that worked well was a lefty's deciever dressed with a white wing and flashabou or crystal flash (as described above), but with a natural grizzly feather on the outside on each side of the wing, with a topping of either light tan or grey bucktail. On all decievers a throat of red flashabou or crystal flash seems to draw more strikes."

He also recommends dhalbergs if the water is murky or clouded fished near fallen trees tight against the shoreline. colour does not appear to be important.

He also uses an 8wt rod, bemoaning the use of a 12wt as impractical and saying he'd rather loose a few fish and fish all day than use a 12wt...

Hope it helps!
    (still looking for the mag article)

Mark

Lastly, Lefty suggests a slow teasing retrieve past bigger wary specimens. the slow undulation seems to really turn them on!

He also rates a decievers the best pattern to use along shorelines and in lagoons. In eddies and deep, slow moving pocket water standard small mouth techniques work (with the flies described in my previous post)

Thanks alot Mark.
    I will incorporate these patterns in the flies I am tying.
    Cheers
    Ian

No-problem at all!

All i did was read a chapter and plagiarize the hell out of it

Ian when you have ties them up, would you be willing to post a few pics?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast