Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barbel in the Western Cape

ha ha ha- they are brutes! Nothing better than arching a 9wt in something substantial every now and then! Sandvlei is a better venue than the blackriver

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Cox View Post
    ha ha ha- they are brutes! Nothing better than arching a 9wt in something substantial every now and then! Sandvlei is a better venue than the blackriver
    I heard from one of the guys at nationals, apparently Cameron Anderson of Optimax got huge barbel of approx 18 - 20 kg yesterday.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    Barbel? Those fish live anywhere! Sean has caught them in the Black River! Which, I think, is one of the most polluted rivers I've ever seen.
    Your'e right on there Neil. This is why us Vaalies sometimes target them specifically. If you can't get to the vaal any stream/river or pond should have barbel in
    Besides we're not so lucky to have spring fed mountain streams that you can drink from within 1 hrs drive
    Beggars can't be choosers !!!!
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    Barbel? Those fish live anywhere! Sean has caught them in the Black River! Which, I think, is one of the most polluted rivers I've ever seen.
    hehe, I think I may have one under the clay in my back yard Neil. Blow holes keep appearing here and there. Been trying to get the damn thing with my spade for years. Perhaps I should try dangling a fly down one of the holes instead? Any tips on effective flies that I could try guys?

i have seen them and you can do some site fishing for them anyway anything that bends my 8/9wt get my attention.....he he he he

Ja, get Neil to tie you one as payment for casting to the free rising snails

There again just rig a snail on the hook, saves valuable flt tying materials hhehehe

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    There again just rig a snail on the hook, saves valuable flt tying materials hhehehe
    too true, can't waste a valuable fly on a mean slobber mouthed son of a fish

For me only a witte brown can stand next to a beautiful sharptooth catfish in the looks department... beautiful buggers they are....

Had your eyes tested recently Kevin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12