Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 9wt rod...Where does it fit in?

Hi Guys
    A couple of reasons for the 9wt choice, A 9wt seems to be the best size for beach fishing along the coast. i'm not refering to esturary or lagoon style fishing. Bear in mind that we have only been saltwater flyfishing for 15-20 odd years and traditionally most rods were softer and 9wts were the best tool to throw a line in strong winds.
    9wts are a compromise item, they need to be light enough to use all day, Strong enough to hold a big fish and fast enough to throw a long line into the teeth of a howling gale. Also bear in mind that most of us are average to poor salt water casters, primarly due to the trout/yellow fishing that we do means we don't need to cast far.a 9wt is the most forgiving in balancing all the needs together.

now having said all this, the future of rods ie new materials and tapers means that we will be using lighter rods in lighter wts to do the same thing.
    In England for instance after decades of using 10' 7 and 8wts for their fishing they are in the process of using 5 and 6's. the newer rods can handle the stress of lines and the enviromental factors they need for their fishing.

i think i have said on my sey trip, the rod i loved using was a 7wt with a 5/7 reel and a cut back 9wt line. Granted i only used it for bones but it was brilliant. the guides dissaproved as they felt it was too light to get fish in quicker. i can see their point, the trick will be to ensure that the rods we are using will be strong enough to handle the job needed.

so do you keep your 9wt, i would say yes when you know that wind and long casts are going to be needed. for the light stuff use a 7 or 8wt.

just my 5c worth.

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    This is a very interesting thread Andre and not that simple to answer.

Two factors are important. Casting or presentation of the fly and pulling the fish. The rod must be able to deal with both of these requirements perfectly.

Until I fished the Seychelles, I would have sworn high and low that all you needed were even numbered sticks. When I started fishing crab patterns on the eight weight, the rod just could not handle them properly and I was forced to switch over to a ten when targeting Triggers. The ten was obviously too heavy for the Bones, so it frustrated me and I always felt that I needed a nine to have the best of both worlds.

Upon my return I bought a nine weight T & T. What a serious stick. Anyway, on the next trip to Moz, it very quickly became the weapon of choice for general fishing when targeting shoaling kingies, bonnies etc. The eight weights just seemed to not have the same speed of casting or pulling power.

After that trip I was sold on the nine as a superb allround stick with some very specific applications inbetween.

Nowadays I use different eights depending on the target species, the nine as a travel rod when I don't want to take more than one stick, the tens for light offshore stuff and the heavier sticks for serious offshore work.

Cheers
    MC
    Back to my initial thoughts 9wt is a good "jack of all trades" for those who cant afford a quiver of sticks. Perhaps not the ideal in all situations, but competent in most.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123