Thread: Knysna - Neil Hockley...?

Default Knysna - Neil Hockley...?

Hiya,

I am down in Knysna for the week, and had a number for Neil Hockley that I tried to call for some news & insights on the fish(ing) - but all I got was a "The number you are trying to call is non-existant..."

Tried directory inquiries, but there is apparently no Hockley registered for Knysna.

Dare I ask, but has he moved/passed on?

Cheers,

Jan.

Hi Jan,

The last time I saw Neil Hockley was about 9 years back in Cape Town, as far as I can remember he intended to or did move to Cape Town.

Maybe give Peter Bailey at Grant's sports in Knysna a call, they will be listed. Peter is very much in touch with the Knysna fishing scene.

Cheers,

Philip

Thanks Phillip,

Yes, have been into Grants Sports - didn't see Peter immediately so tackled one of the young guys for some info on the fishing ... most unhelpful I am afraid to say, it was like I was trying to part the bank from it's gold bars...and he didn't even know who Neil Hockley was

Finally saw Peter and parted company from said youngster and got much more joy...short lived as it was...he confirmed that Neil had indeed moved down to Cape Town some years back. He thought that maybe Neil "wasn't with us any more"...

About the fishing - he mentioned that there were lots of small leeries/garrick about and also plenty kob. I haven't seen any sign of either I am afraid to report but plenty mullet around. Threw my selection of mullet charlies, Sean Mills' tip of a small (#12) flipper with a chartreuse egg about a foot behind, and my own white foam beetle with olive CDC legs (my combo design of the "bread fly" plus some seaweed ) ... but no luck yet.

Spring low tide tomorrow so fingers crossed.....

Cheers,

Jan.

Hi Jan,

I have also heard reports of plenty Leeries, this has been in the beginning of December.

I use to live in Knysna for two years in the 90's and fished a few times with Neil. I kept a fishing log back then and what was quite obvious was the increased success on high pressure systems which meant SE winds, there is also much more water movement during a high pressure. Neil use to fish only in these conditions and use to park his Golf on the winding part of the N2 and paddle over to the channel in the Bay of Biscay (Belvedere) close to buoy nr. 5 or 7 (can't recall which one). If the SE blows for more than 2 days the water temp. will be too low and only Blaasoppies are around.

I had most of my success in the above mentioned area for Leeries and Skippies. If you are land bound fish the point at Belvedere two hours before full (in the sea), spring tides here are great. You will see the sub surface shelf extending across the lagoon, creating a nice rip.

Few other good spots:

- Just left of the point where the main lagoon meets the Ashmead channel, you can walk there from the Oyster co.
    - Crabs Creek channel, low tide walk to the right.
    - Up river from the N2 bridge where the lagoon bends to the right, need a boat. Here is a creek entering the main channel.
    - Brenton on Lake for Mullet
    - The water temp in the upper reaches is more consistent.

Try smaller sprats/Clousers if the usual stuff doesn't produce.

Good Luck

does anyone know is Niel still alive?
    "If you dont have almost unlimited patience, forget about becoming an accomplished saltwater fly angler" Jack Samson

Sorry, I still have no idea after my inquiry here and in Knysna at the time.

Jan L. KorrŻbel
    Nottingham Road Village

I know this is a very belated reply but for those interested. Apparently Neil turned 93 the other day and is in Cape Town.His son was in Grants Sports and spoke to Peter Bailey.

If you need really good advice on the Lagoon, speak to Peter Baker or Poena at Breezers fishing. Poena fishes almost every day, is a Junior Springbok and gives true advice.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"