Thread: Stealth SXR 7623. 7'6". 2wt

Default Stealth SXR 7623. 7'6". 2wt

Several years ago, I purchased one of these rods, and it saw me right on the streams for years. My eldest son (12) has been using it since he started on the streams about 2 years ago. My younger son (9) is now starting to fish the streams with me, and also loves it, but alas I have only one of these rods. It is quite possibly the nicest small stream rod to ever come out of the Stealth stable, and a real pity that it was discontinued. It is the perfect length for a youngster, and has a super smooth easy action, that kids can cast without any problems. I believe it to be the most underrated stream rod ever produced by anyone.
    I am looking to get a second one, so if anyone has one they will be willing to part with, let me know. I will pay a good price for one in good condition.
    Last edited by Andre; 09-01-09 at 10:19 PM.

Doubt it if you will get that rod anywhere?

Why dont you ask Mario to build you a 7'6 2Wt on the blanks he use?

I have one but it's in storage in SA and I don't plan to be back in the land of sunshine for 18 months or so (dam it's cold here in Scotland!!)
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    Doubt it if you will get that rod anywhere?

Why dont you ask Mario to build you a 7'6 2Wt on the blanks he use?
    yes, it's going to be difficult to get a current owner to part with it.
    This rods predecessor was that horrible 2 piece 2/3 wt which was an absolute dog. I believe there was another rod that Stealth produced before this one, that simply broke when it was looked at. Consequently, when the 3piece SXR came out, it already had a poor reputation based on the preceeding Stealth stream rods. The result of this reputation, was that not many were produced or sold. How wrong we were, as the SXR turned out to be a real gem, and today, they are quite sought after.
    Probably its most interesting characteristic, is the solid ferrule, which joins two female sections together. This arrangment probably led to some of the criticism this rod drew in the beginning, due to extra weight, but over the years, proved to be a really robust arrangment.

Yes, I could get someone to build up a rod, or even choose a current "off the shelf" model, but with two youngsters who already have competitive aspirations, giving them both identical rods, is going to avoid a lot of unneccessarry...."my rod is better than yours" bull.
    Last edited by Andre; 10-01-09 at 10:49 AM.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Yes, I could get someone to build up a rod, or even choose a current "off the shelf" model, but with two youngsters who already have competitive aspirations, giving them both identical rods, is going to avoid a lot of unneccessarry...."my rod is better than yours" bull.
    Build two, hahahahaha. Jokes!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett