Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 9wt rod...Where does it fit in?

Default 9wt rod...Where does it fit in?

In my limited salt water experience, i have come to a conclusion that my 9wt rod is not ideal for anything really. I find it a little heavy for estuary work, where a 7wt is great for grunter, and an 8wt better for leeries and kob. When fishing from a boat offshore, a 10 wt is the base minimum. I find the 9wt to be a bit of an, in between rod, with very little ideal application for local conditions. Perhaps surf line fishing with medium size baitfish flies might suit the 9wt more, but i do so little of this.
    Any comments??

Same here Andre, got 2 9wt's that's gathering dust now because a 6wt and 7wt has taken over from what I used to use the 9wt for. It does however seem to be the rod of choice for Queen fish and Permit, Red fish and some other species we don't get here... so will have to travel far to use them again....

Default 9 wt is the bomb!!!

Gents...

What about Mr. and Mrs. Whiskers???? A 9 wt rod is the best possible thing to use. If you are purest however and believe baber are not worth the effort, frankly you are missing out on one of the best fights one can have with a fresh water fish.

PS: if the 9 wt’s are gathering dust ship them to the states (Free States) we have plenty of use for them here.

I use a 7wt for Mr and Mrs Whiskers at the moment, only because I haven't caught any over a meter, and having 300 meter's of backing I don't see one spooling me any time soon... guess that will change if I fish the vaal/orange...

Quote Originally Posted by AB1 View Post
    Gents...

What about Mr. and Mrs. Whiskers???? A 9 wt rod is the best possible thing to use. If you are purest however and believe baber are not worth the effort, frankly you are missing out on one of the best fights one can have with a fresh water fish.

PS: if the 9 wt’s are gathering dust ship them to the states (Free States) we have plenty of use for them here.
    I've got a 9/10 W explorer classic. Nice rod but I only use it when fishing at sodwana of the rocks, must say I never caught anything big enough to say that I needed it.

Have a look in the forum home's catch reports. Core fly the local guru posted a monster he landed over the holiday's. That is why we need 9 wt's. All of us fishing in and around Bloem belive there are 30kg's + in the water we fish, it is just a matter of time before we hook into one of them.

I'm no purest, I'll throw a fly at anything that swims

And how could we forget about the tigers, don't get around to them to much, but once a year the 9WT gets a workout from them as well... but a 8WT would also be fine for them...

Hi Andre we all start with a 9 wt, bud it is a rather odd wt. I use my 6 TCR for small estuaries i.e. Sedgefield, the Brake and De Mond, for Swartkops and Sondags I use my XI2 8wt, for Infanta my 8/10WT and for Strand XI2 12/10 WT depends on the wind and for Kosi my 12WT. For our trip to Aus we used our 8 and 10 Wt’s. So I have sold my 9 WT as it does not have a place in my fishing live.

If you can afford all the rods then great, if not i think (with my limited experience) that a 9wt it a "Jack of all trades".... more than capable for all our local conditions, however, perhaps not perfect!

P.S. i also wouldnt want to tackle any of my recently caught leeries on anything less than a 9wt!
    Last edited by kyle-J; 08-01-09 at 04:06 PM.

Some guys only fish even numbers, makes sence for me...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast