Thread: certain colours for certain area's?

Default certain colours for certain area's?

is it just me? ive been fortunate to fish a few different area's along the Vaal and other rivers and have noticed that: in certain area's the colors of the flies like pink yellow mustard orange etc. only work in certain area's????? example blessbok is pink hotspot, aarens yellow and so on? why? thanks!!!!

The colours of the Mayfly Nymphs and Caddis Larvae differ greatly within even just a few hundred meters of river.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

thanks for that> have you ever caught a yellow on a blue fly well im still looking for the right place!!!

Quote Originally Posted by looseknot View Post
    is it just me? ive been fortunate to fish a few different area's along the Vaal and other rivers and have noticed that: in certain area's the colors of the flies like pink yellow mustard orange etc. only work in certain area's????? example blessbok is pink hotspot, aarens yellow and so on? why? thanks!!!!
    Hi Looseknot...
    Two weeks ago I was quite successful using a purple Caddis. Saturday, Herman also showed me a - If you can call it a "Fly" which was also purple and very successful. Geelvis Paradys... (Sorry Herman, I must agree with Ferdie, that "Fly" must be "Lucky")

Regards,

Clint
    "n' man is nie n' klip nie" He needs to fish too...

I can agree with what you have all said. Colour makes a difference.

I realy like to use rock worm imitations on the vaal and make a point of carying them in 4 or 5 colours.

I also have some GRHE in olice and brown along with the more common grey.

Personaly i think colour has more effect than size on the Vaal
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

Quote Originally Posted by Clintfly View Post
    Hi Looseknot...
    (Sorry Herman, I must agree with Ferdie, that "Fly" must be "Lucky")
    Regards,
    Clint
    My "lucky" fly produced, nada, zip, aziko on Sunday at Strome. All but 2 of the yellows were caught on orange hotspots which almost always produce at this venue. This bears out Scythe's observation that the colours can vary within 200m on the river. It's "horses for courses" in my uninformed opinion.
    P.S. The 2 were caught on the "control" fly.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Yea, I must say this colour/size thing goes in a dual direction.
    In my opinion:
    It would depend on whether you fish an attractor or imitation pattern. [The attractor would obviously be the one with bright colours where else imitation patterns seem to be more naturally coloured and would more closely resemble the natural food source in form] I believe in small natural flies since all my big (+3kg) SM has been taken on #16 -#18 flies. I also like to merge the best of both worlds when I tie my flies.
    I have also found that one can take far more fish on attractor patterns in difficult conditions but the fish also seem to come smaller - the same applies to the size of the fly, for e.g. a few weekends ago we were fishing Eendekuil with the flow being very low. I fished all the natural looking flies without great results but as soon as I switched to a semi attractor pattern, not resembling anything specific (like a brassie), I started getting more takes. Henrie on the other hand fished very large attractor patterns and he was pulling out fish (smaller) like it is going out of fashion.

I bet there are guys out there that would disagree with me and I'm open for criticism and I think this could evolve into a useful thread.
    Last edited by Nymph+O-; 29-01-07 at 02:45 PM.
    No PAIN No Gain

Agree with you about the colour issue and imitative or attractor factor. Due to area I do fish, the visibilty factor has to be taken into account. Bothaville area can take up to a month or more before it gets same viz like elgro(potch) area, and I suppose it takes another month for potch to reach viz that has to be found right under barrage. So I also evolved my patterns, or bought some that stick to basic generic pattern of basic mafly, and adding or enlarging some charateristics and adding some colour(hotspots) onto them.
    Dirk Human

Flyfishing for yellows...the most fun a man can have, with his clothes on, while standing up, holding a bar of gold in your hands.