Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bass in the Cape Streams

Default Bass in the Cape Streams

I was wondering if anyone goes to the streams, and targets the bass specifically. We all know that there are plenty of bass there, and all agree that the trout co exist quite happilly with them. In years gone by, I used to "remove" the one's i caught, but in recent years i have come to release them back into the river. What do you guys do with your bass?
    According to the bio diversity act, the trout ar refferred to as "valuable and desirable" aliens, in the context of the demarcation zones. How does this effect the bass in these trout zones?
    Is it better to release them, or to remove them?
    Last edited by Andre; 10-01-09 at 11:56 AM.

I think that the bass in these rivers should be released because there is an steady increase in the number of people that specifically target bass. However the bass in rivers which contain endangered fish species, which are preyed upon by the bass, should be removed in order to preserve our indigenous fish.

I am sure that there are MANY American guys who would travel to SA to fish our streams for bass, esp Smallies. They have a almost a smallie cult in the US, these guys only target them, and with great sucses as well. I say they are an undiscovered gem of our western cape. Everyone *****es about the bass, who has been on the Breede redently?? The bass population is very spread out with Carp and Barbel being at the top of the food chain, and they are far worse than the bass. Why dont we rather focus on getting them out the systems and then worry about the bass. What about the Blue gills, they are an awsome predator in their own way, and I have seen a big blue gill eat a 1/0 deciever...nobody complains about them either.

Just my 2c
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

When one comes to think about it, us humans have f@cked with nature so much. Maybe if we practiced conservation in all aspects and left nature to control it's own.

My H.O. If it is a stream that has trout/ yellowfish that is unstocked, but is self sustaining, take the bass out. But a stream that is stocked, let nature take its course.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

aaahhh at last. The question we have been fumbling with for a while now, Morne and myself. Do we or don't we.... I fished with some guys before and they just tossed the bass out onto the "hard". Being a newbie at that stage it stuffed with my head a bit and I was silently willing this ouk to flop back into the water. My personal feeling, and not knowing the science, behind the two co-existing, and who eats more than the other, is that, as as far as I know, the buggers have been fighting each other for space for a long time and seem to be both eating out the fridge. In saying this, however, we have found a lot more bass on hotel beat than we have before. A bit more food for the trout? This beat is being poached by the builders of those horrible buildings, and we have seen them. If bass are the problem then maybe they get more bass than trout. But yes a very interesting question Andre
    ps. Happy B'day. been offline for a while
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

I target smallies specifically and I definately don't kill them. Smallies are a lot of fun plus you can rev up cricket scores if you know how to target them. Killing bass in trout streams is hipocritical in my view since it's only done to improve another alien.

And remember this: bass in streams are here to stay. Only way to remove them completely is to chuck poison in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Botes View Post
    I target smallies specifically and I definately don't kill them. Smallies are a lot of fun plus you can rev up cricket scores if you know how to target them. Killing bass in trout streams is hipocritical in my view since it's only done to improve another alien.

And remember this: bass in streams are here to stay. Only way to remove them completely is to chuck poison in the water.
    Please remember something...there is actually no such thing as a "trout stream" in South Africa. They were introduced, just like the smallmouth bass.

Lots of conflicting views...if anyone wants to hear what damage smallmouth bass (and other bass species) have caused our indigenous fish, please contact Peter Arderne from FOSAF. Only then will you understand the impact.
    mwardern@mweb.co.za

I love fishing for bass too...in dams I let them go. In rivers I catch them more by accident, and then I do kill them.

PS: a "Cricket Score" with smallies in a river just shows you how many there are...so no wonder the indigenous yellowfishes's numbers have plummeted in the Cape. It's actually really worrying, and if people can't see the wood for the trees, it's even more worrying.

Cheers
    Mike
    Last edited by Michael; 10-01-09 at 07:22 PM.

I have to agree with Mike, when a fisherman drifts from Stroome. specifically targeting Bass and gets 18 in a morning then it's time to rethink C & R.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    I have to agree with Mike, when a fisherman drifts from Stroome. specifically targeting Bass and gets 18 in a morning then it's time to rethink C & R.
    If this is true, I would love to go out to this place with you and hit some Vaal Bass, while you catch Yellows.

I have heard reports of Bass being caught at Leppies, but in all honesty I have never gone out to fish for them on the Vaal.

Will rethink this when my boat's gone through all the upgrading. I know the Bass okes hit the Bass above the Barrage. Would even like hitting them there.

Andre Sorry for going of the point here.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast