Thread: Weedgaurds for bass flies

Default Weedgaurds for bass flies

Hi guys.....i see there isnt too much explanation given to this in other threads ater i did the search...

whats the best gaurd to tie on a fly......the one the loops around and you tie in one the shank...the single mono facing towards the point or the double mono....

any suggestions on other options will be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Search for a post by me about weedguards on smaller flies.I've attached one of my buggers that has a mamba weedguard on.

Many other forms of weedguards,even wire can be used.But I'd stick to mono if I was u.

G

I'm sure the looped guard will definitely stick less ... the problem would also be how it negatively prohibits successful penetration of the hook on the strike.

For my money the single is better when fishing for LM YF in rivers, for stillwater bass the loop would work better especially when chucking it into heavy cover ... just use a softer/more flexible type of mono.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Hi Stephen
    I have found one way that works well when you are using epoxy on the head of the fly, these are mostly on the bigger fly. Once you have finished the fly you burn a piece of mono and then stick it onto the bottum of the head facing straight down. Then you do your epoxieng. Once it has dried bend the mono back to the hook point and trim it just infront of the point and then flatten it slightly. The mono will return to its original position. This will not impede the hook up and allow the fly to bounce of structure very well.
    Hope this will help a bit.
    Cheers
    Ian W

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
    thxs gerrit....

tied up a couple of monsters.....will see how they handle...
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith