Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Another new comer

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Gauteng
    Posts
    6

    Default Another new comer

    Hi all

    I was introduced to fly fishing two years ago on a holiday, and I got hooked straight away. Over the last two years I've acquired my own equipment and been out a few times .. not much luck to be honest. I've now become frustrated with my lack of knowledge on fish, insects and flies - I mean, it's pointless to just cast and hope to catch something with no plan in mind, right? .. So I bought myself Dean Riphagen's Stillwater Trout in South Africa. So far a very interesting read, but I hope to find more information on this forum.

    In the meantime, can anyone suggest any trout farms in/around Johannesburg for me to go try out (I've only really been to Brookwood Estate)? I have another week off before varsity starts...

    Thanks in advance,
    Johan

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Bethlehem, Free State
    Posts
    2,209

    Default

    I'll send you a PM
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    7,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by splork View Post
    Hi all

    I was introduced to fly fishing two years ago on a holiday, and I got hooked straight away. Over the last two years I've acquired my own equipment and been out a few times .. not much luck to be honest. I've now become frustrated with my lack of knowledge on fish, insects and flies - I mean, it's pointless to just cast and hope to catch something with no plan in mind, right? .. So I bought myself Dean Riphagen's Stillwater Trout in South Africa. So far a very interesting read, but I hope to find more information on this forum.

    In the meantime, can anyone suggest any trout farms in/around Johannesburg for me to go try out (I've only really been to Brookwood Estate)? I have another week off before varsity starts...

    Thanks in advance,
    Johan
    Hi Johann, welcome to Flytalk.
    Trout farms are going to teach you very little, will be expensive (you will invariably have to keep and pay for your catch), and you may have to fight for space to "wave" your rod around. My suggestion is to get together with some of the Vaal guys, or join a club in your area, and get to some real fishing.
    I'm sure you will get a lot of help from the forum.
    Remember that it is fine to ask advice and assistance, as there are many who will jump to provide this, but several newcommers have been criticised for asking for help, and after it is given, the forum does not hear from then again, giving the impression that most guys are simply on board to leech information. So, take as much information the guys will give you, but please remember to feedback, and let the forum know how that advice and information works. Feddback is always appreciated .
    Enjoy

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Gauteng
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Thanks Werner for the PM, and Andre for the welcome.

    I'll search around for a local club, and see what goes for what - thanks for the advice. And I'll try to not follow in the footsteps of the type of new members you refer to and will give feedback as I go along .. Just have to make time to get out to the water a bit more often!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    1,745

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by splork View Post
    Thanks Werner for the PM, and Andre for the welcome.

    I'll search around for a local club, and see what goes for what - thanks for the advice. And I'll try to not follow in the footsteps of the type of new members you refer to and will give feedback as I go along .. Just have to make time to get out to the water a bit more often!
    Bit of advise post your exact location here, many people from clubs on this forum will be able to point you to a club close to you.
    PK

    I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Gauteng
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Rosebank area.

    I know of a fly fishing shop in Blackheath who organizes a trip to the Vaal river every other Wednesday ... That's about it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Gauteng Blairgowrie
    Posts
    541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by splork View Post
    Rosebank area.

    I know of a fly fishing shop in Blackheath who organizes a trip to the Vaal river every other Wednesday ... That's about it.
    Welcome to the forum.. hope you find what you are looking for. be prepared to do a lot of reading, Its addictive..

    where u studying?? i am at UJ..

    try searching for St Stithians Club, Chris W is in charge of it, they have get togethers etc every now and then
    cheers

    andrew

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Gauteng
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Yea, at UJ.

    Thanks, I'll google them

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Vanderbijlpark
    Posts
    7,317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by splork View Post
    Yea, at UJ.

    Thanks, I'll google them
    No need to Google St Stithians.
    Just look under the Fishing Clubs and there is a whole dedicated to them. I'll find it and bump it up for you.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Vandia Grove, Gauteng
    Posts
    4,051

    Default

    Thanks Splork, I've been away fishing and am back at work Monday. I'll organise our next Stithians function and guess it'll be in a week or two . On Wednesday I'm taking our Junior section down to the Vaal, but I doubt you'd find it very relaxing with all of them!!! Will let you know when the next 'Oldies' session is and you will be made very welcome!!!

    Cheers
    Chris
    Stithians Flyfishers
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

    Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •