Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TFO 2/3 Weight

Question TFO 2/3 Weight

I am considering a new rod for the WP streams. My options are either
    A: TFO 2 wt finesse 7.3
    B: TFO 3 wt 8.6,
    C: TFO 3 wt 7.6

and for the life of me, I do not know which would be the better rod to go for. Anyone out there with (current) opinions of either. I prefer dry fly as opposed to nymphing as I haven't mastered the nymph thingy yet, besides I enjoy the rush when you see the rise to your fly!

I regularly fish the Lourensford, and on occassion the CPS streams.
    Currently I have an Explorer Classic 2 2/3 7.6 which I have enjoyed up to now.
    I appreciate your comments.
    Peter

Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going - Jim Ryun

Let's keep it real..

Buf,

I have the TFO Pro 8.6ft 3 wt, love it. Action is fast enough, but it protects thin tippet well. Extra length is a bonus for high-sticking.

Bit long for bushy beats like HS and the like, but for those I will use the 6.6ft 2wt shorty.

Overall a very nice WC stream rod, I am extremely happy with it. Craig Thom @ netbooks fishes a Finesse on the streams (I think), chat to him about that one.

Regards
    Eben
    Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery element are made for wise men to contemplate, and for fools to pass by without consideration - Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by Buf Aloe View Post
    I am considering a new rod for the WP streams. My options are either
    A: TFO 2 wt finesse 7.3
    B: TFO 3 wt 8.6,
    C: TFO 3 wt 7.6

and for the life of me, I do not know which would be the better rod to go for. Anyone out there with (current) opinions of either. I prefer dry fly as opposed to nymphing as I haven't mastered the nymph thingy yet, besides I enjoy the rush when you see the rise to your fly!

I regularly fish the Lourensford, and on occassion the CPS streams.
    Currently I have an Explorer Classic 2 2/3 7.6 which I have enjoyed up to now.
    I appreciate your comments.
    Hi Peter, Look, I'm going to stay away from reccommending a specific rod for the streams, as i do not believe that any one rod is going to be perfect for all stream situations. I nave 4 different rods for the streams, and depending on conditions and river or beat, they all get used.
    What you need to think about, is what are you looking for that is different to your explorer. Perhaps you need more reach, perhaps it is no good with 2 nymphs, perhaps it is too heavy. There has to be some criteria that is making you look at alternatives. Once you have this criteria, then you need to start shopping for a rod that will meet the criteria.
    TFO are good rods, granted, I have never fished with one, but many people use them and they are well loved. So therfore, they are good rods.

My 2# Finesse 7'3 is currently my favourite Cape stream dry fly rod.....for all conditions! Reason being, it loads quickly under light loads (minimal line) and also puts out all the line i ever need to put out on the streams in one single cast.
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 23-01-09 at 12:27 PM.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Buf,

I have the TFO Pro 8.6ft 3 wt, love it. Action is fast enough, but it protects thin tippet well. Extra length is a bonus for high-sticking.

Bit long for bushy beats like HS and the like, but for those I will use the 6.6ft 2wt shorty.

Overall a very nice WC stream rod, I am extremely happy with it. Craig Thom @ netbooks fishes a Finesse on the streams (I think), chat to him about that one.

Regards
    Eben
    Thanks for that Eben, Lourensford can also get a little dense in places like HS and I am concerned about the length of 8.6. Do you have any opinion of the 3 wt in a shorter i.e 7.6 length?

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Hi Peter, Look, I'm going to stay away from reccommending a specific rod for the streams, as i do not believe that any one rod is going to be perfect for all stream situations. I nave 4 different rods for the streams, and depending on conditions and river or beat, they all get used.
    What you need to think about, is what are you looking for that is different to your explorer. Perhaps you need more reach, perhaps it is no good with 2 nymphs, perhaps it is too heavy. There has to be some criteria that is making you look at alternatives. Once you have this criteria, then you need to start shopping for a rod that will meet the criteria.
    TFO are good rods, granted, I have never fished with one, but many people use them and they are well loved. So therfore, they are good rods.
    Thanks Andre,
    Firstly I saw my gat on SB3 last year, and upon returning to the car I noticed that the butt section was broken off at the bottom of the reel seat. Being an overworked, underpaid father of 3 I realised that this was one of those opportunities not to be missed especially as the day that I graced this planet with my existence is coming up shortly, I can now hint at very favourable gifts from the SWAMBO and rugrats! I know it can be repaired, but what is the point of telling SWAMBO that?
    Unfortunately I cannot afford a rod for each occassion. So I need to purchase something that A) I am going to enjoy using. B) Is reasonably versatile in all manners of stream fishing. I understand that different rods offer different things, but I need a Jack of all trades.

I have had a cast or 2 with both the finesse 2 wt and the 8.6 3 wt. The 2 wt has a lovely feel to it, but I am hesitant because of certain unknowns i.e casting into wind etc.
    Peter

Let's keep it real..

I have had a cast or 2 with both the finesse 2 wt and the 8.6 3 wt. The 2 wt has a lovely feel to it, but I am hesitant because of certain unknowns i.e casting into wind etc.
    The 2wt is no less pleasant than any 3wt I have tried in windy conditions. The slightly shorter length if anything is benificial under those conditions. Maybe I am just a k@k caster but I find that the rod doesn't perform well with multi fly rigs, for that I prefer my 3wt Sage (which is not much better I might add), but for single fly rigs...it is an absolute charm!
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 23-01-09 at 12:46 PM.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    My 2# Finesse 7'3 is currently my favourite Cape stream dry fly rod.....for all conditions! Reason being, it loads quickly under light loads (minimal line) and also puts out all the line i ever need to put out on the streams in one single cast.
    Well what I have learnt is that you are not fishing with any considerable length of line out, rather a slight extension of the leader??? So, if I am right then casting is not really an issue.

The 2wt is no less pleasant than any 3wt I have tried in windy conditions. The slightly shorter length if anything is benificial under those conditions. Maybe I am just a k@k caster but I find that the rod doesn't perform well with multi fly rigs, for that I prefer my 3wt Sage (which is not much better I might add) , but for single fly rigs...it is an absolute charm!
    I have only recently started experimenting with a 2 fly rig, essentially a dry with a hackle NZ style. Proving to be quite a menace this setup is. Can't seem to control this with the 3 weight so probably not much chance with the 2 wt then?
    Peter

Let's keep it real..

The 2wt is no less pleasant than any 3wt I have tried in windy conditions. The slightly shorter length if anything is benificial under those conditions. Maybe I am just a k@k caster but I find that the rod doesn't perform well with multi fly rigs, for that I prefer my 3wt Sage (which is not much better I might add), but for single fly rigs...it is an absolute charm!
    I second that ! This rod load really nicely and protects really light tippets , just make sure you don't use it to break a slip om the rocks !

Thanks for that Eben, Lourensford can also get a little dense in places like HS and I am concerned about the length of 8.6. Do you have any opinion of the 3 wt in a shorter i.e 7.6 length?
    Nope sorry, have not fished with those so not able to comment.

I can echo Chris's comments on the rods loading quickly with very little line. Was a bit concerned once I started casting it and felt the action about how it would protect light tippets, but like I mentioned this turned out to be fine.

Best is to try and find a dealer that has them all in stock and cast them with the intedend line. Check with Philip, he normally has a good selection of TFO's.

P.S. I am a bit biased toward longer sticks at the moment. My 6wt is 10.0 ft...lekker float tube rod...

Like Andre says, figure out what you going to use it for most often... nymphing, high sticking, etc. Oh, and you can never have too many rods
    Last edited by ebf; 23-01-09 at 02:41 PM.
    Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery element are made for wise men to contemplate, and for fools to pass by without consideration - Izaak Walton

Well what I have learnt is that you are not fishing with any considerable length of line out, rather a slight extension of the leader??? So, if I am right then casting is not really an issue.

I have only recently started experimenting with a 2 fly rig, essentially a dry with a hackle NZ style. Proving to be quite a menace this setup is. Can't seem to control this with the 3 weight so probably not much chance with the 2 wt then?
    This I find strange. I hadly ever fish the streams with a single fly nowadays. I cannot remember when last i used only a single dry. I use 2 dries, dry and soft hackle, dry and numph, 2 nymphs, etc..etc.. I never attach them NZ style, as this only leads to tangles, and besides, droppers are better for drag free drifts. As for rod weight, I do this with my 000 as well, and have no problems casting them or controlling them. I understand that it can take some getting used to, but the flies are so light, they dont change the rod action at all. A lot of the control problems you experience, may be related to optimum leader length for the setup.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast