Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Malindi, Kenya

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    We off-load much of our cargo like World Food drummed vegoil onto the dhows. They're great lads and this type of shipping business has gone on for hundreds, nay, thousands, of years. Only trouble is when you hook a 7/0 Clouser into the dhow mainsail the Arab skipper tends to get a bit pee'd off!...

The financial difference is MEGA between

1) El Cheapo adventuring around the coastline/talking to the locals with water-taxis or shoreline fishing with their self-appointed 'Askari'

and

2) Doing the Hemingway thing in US$

As I mentioned a smile and a six-pack (not your abdomen's) often goes a long way. I know the main dhow/water-taxi guys so please PM me if you would like further info. Lemme know dates/where you're staying. And learn a few kiSwahili words/expressions - as always, attempting a bit of the local taal shows Rispek. A bottle of duty-free whisky should rapidly accelerate your fishing cause/success..

Swahili is easy to speak! A few good swigs of some strong beverage and I am fluent. No need for colonial negotiations and exchanges. Try it sometime.

I've been doing 'non-colonial' business in East Africa for the last 15 years despite the hangover of 'colonialism' and a lot of some sad relics hanging on there who havn't adapted to the changing times. As you will know Kenya and environs is - like the rest of Africa - an extremely complex place in terms of local variations/cultures.

I've been shipping the bulk of Kenyan exports i.e. fluorspar/soda ash. I do agree a bit of 'Nyama Choma', ice-cold ones and a gift of the gab tends to assist. The trouble is some of the remoted Lau dudes on the coast sometimes take exception when one praats Swahili - rather like talking Fanagalo (spelling?) these days in a Soweto shebeen.

As I'm sure you'll know, the difference between, for example, Nairobi/environs and Mombasa/'coastal' in terms of differing cultures and religions is huge.

I reckon three of us in a water-taxi, amply fortified with tackle/provisions, could enjoy a great time - provided we can negotiate 'going over the bar'! Shades of 'Three Men In A Boat' - bot non-colonial!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Chris, Truth be told my Swahili wont get us anywhere unless everyone around has had the same amount of happy juice deposited into their systems.

But then our little fishing party might just get taken out by the USS Obama mistaking us for a bunch of loud swaggering, anebriated Somali pirates on our Dhow battleship!

Just to get you convinced to go...A Kingie from the Watamu Bank, offshore Malindi...

Good one, I wonder what 'lunker' and 'holy GT' are in Swahili!

Quote Originally Posted by HolyGT View Post
    Just to get you convinced to go...A Kingie from the Watamu Bank, offshore Malindi...

What a cracker!!!!

Was that on fly? What tackle were you using.....

No unfortunately not. It was on a Kawakawa almost the size of the Kingie!,- was meant for a Marlin. The BIggest one we got on livebait was just over 80lbs before we stopped livebaiting as there was no chance of the livebait surviving long enough to get eaten by a Marlin!

Dredging the reef from 20-30m depth with big clousers and fast sinking lines will get them. The local charters strongly practise CAR. The one in the picture has a tag (although grown over...)

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Good one, I wonder what 'lunker' and 'holy GT' are in Swahili!

Bwana Karambesi ???

Asante sana!!

I'll be heading out to Hemingways for 4 days of offshore fly fishing in the hopes of landing my first sailfish. All accommodation/boats/etc.... taken care of. I wanted to get some advice regarding tackle. We will mostly be trolling, however will target some reefs etc.... I have a 12wt with matching reel loaded with floating line + another 12wt setup with a 500 grain shooting head, and was considering getting a 14wt outfit. Anyone with experience with sailies/bommie bashing recommend this or is what I have sufficient? Also is it worth bring a 9wt setup along?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast