Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Sage Fly Rod Pricing

Quote Originally Posted by Garage View Post
    Mike,

Where is Winston available?

Thanks
    I was at his funeral, so I guess he's still a bit north-east of Oxford six-foot under unless he's made other plans.

A good man, lots to be proud of, but with a few weak spots, rather like the rods
    Last edited by chris williams; 06-02-09 at 05:11 PM.
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

I can understand the satisfaction in owning something nice. But one thing I will say for someone desiring the premum rods: if you are only an average caster, rather go and pay for some casting lessons. I see so many people who have these fantastic rods but they don't know how to cast them properly!

My mate went for some lessons as he wasn't happy with his casting. He also thought it might be due to his rod, which he considered a bit soft for distance casting. The instructor picked up the rod, 2 false casts and he lays out 30m of line!

In the right hands any modern rod will perform admirably...
    Life is a series of trout missions with that numbing feeling in between...

My Album

Default Fly casting instructions

Quote Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
    I can understand the satisfaction in owning something nice. But one thing I will say for someone desiring the premum rods: if you are only an average caster, rather go and pay for some casting lessons. I see so many people who have these fantastic rods but they don't know how to cast them properly!

My mate went for some lessons as he wasn't happy with his casting. He also thought it might be due to his rod, which he considered a bit soft for distance casting. The instructor picked up the rod, 2 false casts and he lays out 30m of line!

In the right hands any modern rod will perform admirably...
    I agree 100%

Can anybody recommend a casting instructor in the JHB/Pretoria area?

As far as I know the guys at Frontier advertise casting instructions.

I cast a reasonable line, but it is as if I cannot get myself to cast further - there is some invisible barrier, which I think is ME
    Barend Esterhuizen Pr Eng

"But engineering isn't about perfect solutions; it's about doing the best you can with limited resources."
    The last lecture, Randy Pausch

Apart from the Frontier lads, Derek Manson at Flyfishers Unlimited is very good - I think he got his qualification from England when he was at Farlows

Although no substitute for physical lessons, if you want chapter, line and verse in a casting book, Lefty Kreh's new 'Casting With Lefty Kreh' is superb and will probably be the definitive book on flycasting for quite a while. I'm not sure if it's arrived in many shops as yet, but Craig Thom ('Archerfish' on the Forum) has them in stock at Netbooks - check the web - well worth every cent...

Sorry, bit of a deviation from the thread title..
    Last edited by chris williams; 07-02-09 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    long time?
    Gotta have some other form of indoor activity apart from flytying when the Vaal's unfishable...

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789