Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Sage Fly Rod Pricing

Quote Originally Posted by Troutbum View Post
    Hi Grant,

Since I feel uneasy using a forum like this to promote products I'd feel much better if you called any one of the current Sage dealers (Upstream, The Fly Shop and Frontier Fly Fishing) and got a price from them.

Hope you understand.

Regards

Dean
    Dean, I speak for myself here, and not for any other member, so perhaps the forum must comment on what i am about to say.
    Firstly, most of us know who you are and are aware of your connection to Frontier. Therfore, when a forum member asks the question that Grant has just asked, I dont have a problem if the price is published by you on the forum. Obviously, the members and moderators need to agree.
    There is a definte need for a knowledgable person to share expert information, even pricing, in a , non advertising fashion. For example, I would like to know how sage developed the Z-Axis technology, and some technical information about their original rationale for producing it.

The down side, is that we run the risk of every tackle dealer starting to share specs and stuff, and we end up with a peeing contest as we have had a few times before.

Secondly, beware, you must be as prepared to take the flack from the "anti Sage lobby" as you are prepared to share information. There has been much speculation about all things regarding Sage products, so someone in the know, will be of value here.

Dunno guys...just my thoughts, what thinkest thee.....?

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Totally agree. It will be great to have information from the horses mouth, so to speak.

As far a RRP's go, I don't see the problem. You are not advertising for your retail store by telling us the RRP of an item. Those are manufacturer set prices as far as I understand?
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Dean, I speak for myself here, and not for any other member, so perhaps the forum must comment on what i am about to say.
    Firstly, most of us know who you are and are aware of your connection to Frontier. Therfore, when a forum member asks the question that Grant has just asked, I dont have a problem if the price is published by you on the forum. Obviously, the members and moderators need to agree.
    There is a definte need for a knowledgable person to share expert information, even pricing, in a , non advertising fashion. For example, I would like to know how sage developed the Z-Axis technology, and some technical information about their original rationale for producing it.

The down side, is that we run the risk of every tackle dealer starting to share specs and stuff, and we end up with a peeing contest as we have had a few times before.

Secondly, beware, you must be as prepared to take the flack from the "anti Sage lobby" as you are prepared to share information. There has been much speculation about all things regarding Sage products, so someone in the know, will be of value here.

Andre, you big kidder you !!!!

Wait, you were being serious?

Let me ask you a question: Why would Dean or any other well respected individual in the fly fishing community for that matter, want to spend time here taking "flack" as you put it, from one of the many uninitiated internet experts that frequent this forum?

This forum has been in existance for a number of years now, and over the years we've seen many well known fly fishers join the forum, only to leave, never to be seen here again. Looking through the member list, you'll quickly notice that the "who's who" in fly fishing in South Africa have all been members here at some point and pretty much all have fallen silent. Why do you think that is? I'm actually surprised Dean even posts here at all.

To add to that, we've all born witness to the childish preoccupation many people on this forum have with slagging off certain tackle brands, and now you want to invite the South African distributer of these self same brands to post more on the subject and face further vitriol from the "short man" brigade? Talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire!

Its been sad to witness how a resource like this forum, that started off well and with the best of intentions has been allowed to degenerate over time, to the point that none of those with any real credentials to their name really don't regard this forum with any more seriousness or candour than they do their wives Heat magazine.
    Last edited by ShaunF; 29-01-09 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    Andre, you big kidder you !!!!

Wait, you were being serious?

Let me ask you a question: Why would Dean or any other well respected individual in the fly fishing community for that matter, want to spend time here taking "flack" as you put it, from one of the many uninitiated internet experts that frequent this forum?

This forum has been in existance for a number of years now, and over the years we've seen many well known fly fishers join the forum, only to leave, never to be seen here again. Looking through the member list, you'll quickly notice that the "who's who" in fly fishing in South Africa have all been members here at some point and pretty much all have fallen silent. Why do you think that is? I'm actually surprised Dean even posts here at all.

To add to that, we've all born witness to the childish preoccupation many people on this forum have with certain tackle brands, and now you want to invite the South African distributer of these self same brands to post more on the subject and face further vitriol from the "short man" brigade? Talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire!

Its been sad to witness how a resource that started off well and with the best of intentions has been allowed to degenerate over time, to the point that none of those with any real credentials to their name really don't regard this forum with any more seriousness or candour than they do their wives Heat magazine.
    hey , i agree, thats why i said thay he would have to be prepared for the inevitable flak from some quarters. I have exactly the same sentiments as you re the "who's who" and why they have gone. You should perhaps have read my post as a subtle invitation to finally involve someone with experience and objectivity, in the forum, in the hope, beyond hope, that it would remain constructive....I think Dean's man enough , and respected enough, to be able to deal with the "vitriol from the short man brigade" (jeez, I love the way you put that...brilliant)
    Last edited by Andre; 29-01-09 at 01:34 PM.

I see Shelton is ashamed of his Sages...I'm not, they are the best rods I own...
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

hey , i agree, thats why i said thay he would have to be prepared for the inevitable flak from some quarters. I have exactly the same sentiments as you re the "who's who" and why they have gone. You should perhaps have read my post as a subtle invitation to finally involve someone with experience and objectivity, in the forum, in the hope, beyond hope, that it would remain constructive....I think Dean's man enough , and respected enough, to be able to deal with the "vitriol from the short man brigade" (jeez, I love the way you put that...brilliant)
    Yeah, I think your intentions are good but seeing the way these things tend to go, I fear it would simply end up like masturbating with a cheese grater - entertaining at first, but ultimately painful and pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    Yeah, I think your intentions are good but seeing the way these things tend to go, I fear it would simply end up like masturbating with a cheese grater - entertaining at first, but ultimately painful and pointless.
    Haaahhaaa....masturbating with a cheese grater..brilliant, ...ahem..yes you could be right..unfortunatly

I think it would be good to have Dean around ... In my view Gary has been invaluable in terms of prividing information on Stealth products and I'm yet to see someone slagging him off about it.

Maybe we should all stop being so sensitive about the fact that we own SAGE rods and equipment ?
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Maybe we should all stop being so sensitive about the fact that we own SAGE rods and equipment ?
    Precisely.. You can afford it - you can enjoy it. Anyone who doesn't like it - Stick it up!!
    Peter

Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going - Jim Ryun

Let's keep it real..

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    I think it would be good to have Dean around ... In my view Gary has been invaluable in terms of prividing information on Stealth products and I'm yet to see someone slagging him off about it.

Have to agree there. Any brand worth it's weight should be able to disclose a reasonable amount of information about its product publicly. If it's honest information you'd be a fool to slag it off.
    everyone is a "guru" these days - re

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast