Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultra Realistic Flies!!

FlyFanatic Banned User

Default Ultra Realistic Flies!!

Guys check these super realistic ties!! Awesome!!

http://www.grahamowengallery.com/fis...fly-tying.html

wow! amazing stuff!

Its sh!t hot
    "VermoŽns is wat mens in staat is om te doen... Motivering, bepaal wat mens doen... Gesindheid bepaal HOE mens dit doen.." ¨ Lou Holtz

Graham has come a long way, I've seen his flies improve over the years on another forum where he and I are members. I think that there is a step by step of a dragon fly that Graham did on the Hatchesmagazine website somewhere

The master of realistic fly tying must be without a doubt Paul Whillock, he can spend upto 200 hours on a singe fly. You can view some of his patterns here: http://www.paulwhillock.com/
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

That is incredible!! I didn't even know it existed.

Anyone know if they are any more effective than some of the better patterns we use today?

I'd guess time taken to tie vs. fish caught would be a lot higher. But I wonder if fish vs time fished is higher too?

When you start looking at the ultra realistic flies, these were never actually intended to be fished, they are actually more for art (and who said fishermen weren't cultured )

Some of the guys like Oliver Edwards and Steve Thornton ( www.virtual-nymph.com ) seem to try and strike a balance between realism and still being fishable
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

FlyFanatic Banned User

Thanx Gael, will go have a look!! Jup those werent intended for fishing, i dont think they could withstand the beating of fly casting and even if they do, they wouldnt last long in the water and fishes mouths.

I sure think that to some degree realistic pattens will outfish other less realistic patterns, but then only when the fish are REALLY fussy and selective and the water VERY clear. For nymphing the Vaal, you'll be wasting lots of good fishing time creating one of the little monsters..

Gosh...so beautiful they are.

I clearly have a l-o-o-o-o-o-n-g way to go ...
    Jan L. KorrŻbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Keith does some pretty good realistics - His are fishable and I think he tries to tie them in less than 10 minutes....
    http://www.danica.com/flytier/kwalli...wallington.htm
    "Haauw, in the mouth"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast