Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Grass Carp on fly

FlyFanatic Banned User

Default Grass Carp on fly

Hey guys,

Went "papgooing" with my old man a few weeks ago at the Vaal Dam. I wanted to try and catch a few carp on fly, but that proved a little difficult, since the water is pretty silted, never saw any carp feeding.

Anyways, i noticed early mornings, there was some activity close to the bank, firstly i was ecstatic cuz i thought it was yellows, but alas not, they were schools of grass carp!!

I tried a lot of flies, with no success. Then i tried a #16 Adams dry fly, and whoop had my first take!! The fish however was so small, it came flying back towards me with the fly..

Time for new tactic, tied on a #10 Hopper, and threw it at some grass carp feeding to whatever, and caught one of about 500g. Caught a few more, but none above the 500g mark, there are however much larger specimens around!!

They fight hard, very much the same as yellowfish, in appearance too, but the catch rate fishing for them is pretty low. Nonetheless, i think they are an excellent species to target on fly!! I think they will take any type of insect, if it is presented correctly.

If anybody has targeted them purposefully, please share your experiences!!

2. Default

Nicely done Jaco...

Ive still to catch one on fly. Great discovery, now you gotta catch a big one!
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

FlyFanatic Banned User

Thanx Liam!!

Will surely try, since they grow really big, there be monsters to be taken!!

Good one to try. I think I'll target some on my next visit to Kathu when bassin' at Kei Appel.
    That dam has lots but the gin clear water may present a problem.
    Save our Yellows!

Grass carp was introduced to America, to control the plant growth in the water.

In certain sections it has now become a invasive species. To such an extent, that it is uncontrolable. There are a couple of videos available on Youtube about it.

Now, in South Africa, all grass carp have to be sterile when released into any water.
    Originally when stocked to control aquatic plant growth, it was believed that it will not be breed in our waters.
    The small grass carp that you have caught is proof that they breed.
    It is only a matter of time before we have a major problem with grass carp in this country, where they will out compete our SM, Mudfish etc for food.
    As they are very selective feeders, it is very difficult to catch.

Nature conservation in numerous provinces are aware of this growing problem.

If any grass carp is caught, do fast forward them to the fishing heavens. Because that is our next major problem fish in this country.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Korrie, this also bothered me since I also heard from a masters student that all grass carp are sterile, but seeing the evidence presented here, either they have found a way around being sterile or someone slipped in a few non-sterile fish.

This is worrying indeed.

In America etc, they are sometimes referred to as "Asian Carp"
    Which is a collective word for all the carp species. Or sometimes for only a single specie. ie the grass carp, bighead carp or common carp.

Do a search on Google and see what comes up.

It is quite frightening to see how invasive they can get.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

They are definitely not all sterile. Years back, when I used to row at Germiston lake, there were some monster grass carp around. I'm talking around the 20kg mark, and we were also told they were sterile. They used to hand around the inlet near to the rowing club, and when the water was clear you would observe them milling around. After a few years, we started noticing quite a few small ones around - they were definitely breeding. I believe they are there in numbers these days...

They are tricky to take on fly, but they are quite prone to taking a crossbow bolt fly a times. I'll post the SBS for this pattern sometime.

And please practice cull and release with grass carp. I've seen first hand what they do to a dam, and it ain't pretty.
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

I have relatively good success targeting them on fly. Hopper and other insect patterns seem to work although have had my most success with a red setter pattern which they seem to like for some reason. 80% of the fish will not even look at the fly, so you have to find fish that will show interest and continue targeting them. They spook easily so cast ahead of them and let them come onto the lightly twitched fly. They fight like demons and I have taken fish in the 8kg range which took me way into my backing. Enjoy!

FlyFanatic Banned User

Jup they definitely have found a way to bypass the sterilization!! Either that, or the buggers that had to fix them, had no idea what they were doing!!

They have taken over the Vaal Dam, every frikken cast you make when papgooing, lands a grassie in the 500g region.. We gave a whole bag full to the local folk, just to get rid of some of the buggers..

The main problem is the competition anglers, they dont care about what fish they catch, only quantity, and there is LOTS of competition fishing at that location. So they are feeding those grassies like mad, must be fish heaven in there.. So yes, this is a BIG problem, once they all take the road down the pearly gates and down the river, who knows what impact they could have!!

On the topic of selective, they are not at all selective on what they eat, at least not the small ones, they feed on every piece of pap, mieliepips, earthworms, etc that you throw at them, maybe they are just in their teens??

Brin, would you mind sharing a pic of that red setter pattern of urs? Would be much appreciated!! Since the Vaal is out of bounds for time being, could just as well resort to culling a few grassies while we wait for things to recover..
    Last edited by FlyFanatic; 02-02-09 at 06:01 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast