Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Circle Hooks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    For certain species of saltwater fish, and fresh water predatory fish, I think circle hooks can offer some advantage. For small mouth yellows, I dont believe they offer any advantage or disadvantage to the hookup rate. I know this thread is about saltwater applications, but if I may digress to yellows for a sec.
    For control flies they may be good in the sense that they may not snag the bottom so often, but if you look at the yellow fish's mouth, it is not really consistent with the design of the circle hook, for a favourable hookup. I think that the circle hook is designed around the mouth of bait fish predators, and designed to hook a fish on the move, and as turns on its prey, the hook sets in the corner of the mouth. Sm yellows, dont feed in this way. They generally suck up the fly from an almost stationery state, and will , as soon spit it out. Therefore, no advantage from circles over normal hooks. The yellows that do hook up on circles, would have hooked up anyway, had it been a normal hook.
    When nymphing for yellows, one needs to tighten up on the line anyway when feeling the bump, else the fly, circle or not, will be spat out. Yes, there are a large percentage of yellows caught, that simply "hook themselves", and this would happen anyway, regardless of the type of hook.
    Agreed.

My theory, and it really is just a theory, is as follows:
    When fishing in the rapids we present up stream and bring the fly back downstream with a current that probably flows around 3-5kph in the bottom third of the water column. A current speed of 5kph in the bottom third, which is the speed most people walk, translates into a speed of around 1.3m per second.

Given the really short length of line (fly line, leader and tippet) we generally have in the water when practicing various forms of SLN, it really doesnt take much to simulate the "just tighten up" practice when you have a 1.3 meter per second current pulling your flies the opposite direction to which the fish is facing...

Just a theory

Before we completely hijack this thread, there was a post towards the end of last year around using circle hooks for GT's. I'll see if I can find it.
    Check your knots!

Thanks chaps, I'm actually coming to KZN to visit my folks and buy tackle, it's my annual pilgrimage! I've had clients use circles when drift baiting for tigers and they've had good hookup ratios, better than using standard J's. Practically all the lodges in the Lower Zambezi National Park have now made it SOP to only use circles when drift baiting so as to avoid deep hooking fish so there must be something to be said for using them. My thoughts were that if they're suitable for the salt i.e. hard hitting fish, then they should be spot on for Mr Stripes! I'll pick up 50/50 and do a full on test when I get back in mid March. Anything else you guys would like me to find out about techniques, tackle etc.?

Sorry forgot to say thanks for the hooks Arno! no stress about posting them to me though, what brand would you recommend? I tried some Matzuo Octopus hooks and they gave me an awesome hook up ratio. Does anyone else use them? Very funky design!

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Hi Guys

Has anyone used Gamakatsu Octopus Circle hooks in saltwater fly fishing/fly tying . I picked some up from my tackle shop this afternoon and was going to try the whole Circle vs J hook experiment in the coming weeks . I see they in diffrent sizes all the from 8 to 5/0 and not too badly priced , actually they are cheaper than the Mustad 34007's . Anyone used them ? Any info feedback will be welcome

Thanks

Adrian
    Adrian I use them extensively , even used a 10/0 to hook marlin on fly. They are wonderful.
    What experiment are you planning?

Quote Originally Posted by PezVela View Post
    Adrian I use them extensively , even used a 10/0 to hook marlin on fly. They are wonderful.
    What experiment are you planning?
    Hi Karl

Its not a major experiment i just want to see how they fare against the J style hooks . I have had some missed takes and hooks pulling on the J style and i want to fish circle hooks for a month or 2 and compare the results . I will be in Cape Vidal in March and want to test them there also for the kingies and whatever else is cruising

Cheers

Adrian
    "My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."

I used Circle hooks for the first time Dec in the orange river. Hooked a lot of fish. The advantage was that you don't get stuck on the bottom. Will reccomend it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123