Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Circle Hooks

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    I agree with you on your point about getting ten opinions on circles! Some love them, some hate them.

Which brand, model/style and size of circle did you try? I had similar experiences with the earlier eagle claws(only ever found one model/style) and the mustad streamer circles in sizes smaller than #12.

The mustad light wire demons, the gamma octopus' and the newer eagle claws dont seem to follow the same rule of "dont strike" nearly as much as the older circles and I think this is because of their far less aggresively curved profile. That said I still dont like using them for flies smaller than say #12 and I still tie my mayflies and streamers on regular j-hooks.
    I tried Gamakatsu #8 and #6 circles. But yeah it was some time ago. Just lost confidence in them so won't use them again for control flies or saltwater flies. For saltwater I really like the Tiemco's and Mustads for bigger hooks (non-circle).

Best is for Adrian to tie up a few, and a few on his regular hooks, and go try them out for himself. Might work like a bomb for him, who knows. The proof will be in the pudding, so to speak.

hi adrian,i havnt used circles 4 saltwater.i am of the oppinion that most of the fish we target in the salt are predators.they wont be eating a fly and turn with it.they are agressive and will hit at the fly,rather then engulf it and turn.it is our natural reaction to strike and this doesnt work with circles.so ill be staying away from them for the time be4ng.
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I tried Gamakatsu #8 and #6 circles. But yeah it was some time ago. Just lost confidence in them so won't use them again for control flies or saltwater flies. For saltwater I really like the Tiemco's and Mustads for bigger hooks (non-circle).

Best is for Adrian to tie up a few, and a few on his regular hooks, and go try them out for himself. Might work like a bomb for him, who knows. The proof will be in the pudding, so to speak.
    I'll give you a couple of the newer style circles if I see you at St's for you to test and see if they make any difference to the older style ones. Fly fishing, like most forms of fishing, is very much a confidence thing so if something else works better for you personally its not an issue.
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    I'll give you a couple of the newer style circles if I see you at St's for you to test and see if they make any difference to the older style ones. Fly fishing, like most forms of fishing, is very much a confidence thing so if something else works better for you personally its not an issue.
    Cool man, thanks for that. Just let me put them in the car before we commence guzzling....

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post

For certain species of saltwater fish, and fresh water predatory fish, I think circle hooks can offer some advantage. For small mouth yellows, I dont believe they offer any advantage or disadvantage to the hookup rate. I know this thread is about saltwater applications, but if I may digress to yellows for a sec.
    For control flies they may be good in the sense that they may not snag the bottom so often, but if you look at the yellow fish's mouth, it is not really consistent with the design of the circle hook, for a favourable hookup. I think that the circle hook is designed around the mouth of bait fish predators, and designed to hook a fish on the move, and as turns on its prey, the hook sets in the corner of the mouth. Sm yellows, dont feed in this way. They generally suck up the fly from an almost stationery state, and will , as soon spit it out. Therefore, no advantage from circles over normal hooks. The yellows that do hook up on circles, would have hooked up anyway, had it been a normal hook.
    When nymphing for yellows, one needs to tighten up on the line anyway when feeling the bump, else the fly, circle or not, will be spat out. Yes, there are a large percentage of yellows caught, that simply "hook themselves", and this would happen anyway, regardless of the type of hook.
    Last edited by Andre; 04-02-09 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    I take note of his comments cause in his lifetime he landed over 15000 sailfish.
    UH HUH!!
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Hi Adrain, the Gama Octo circles are almost the same sizing as the Owner circles, but slightly thinner wire diameter. So for greenspot Kingies, etc they will be perfect, but for Ignobilis I would go the Owner way as they are less likely to bend if you pull hard. Once hooked, literally you won't look back.

And a far as the species go - from blacktail to garrick to shark, perfect...
    Great to tie on and swims like a dream. Just watch the gape when you tie, as not to close it too much.

Another good aoption is the Gama's SC16 circles in size fron 2 to 3/0. Nickle plated, longer shank and good for light salt. The #2 is great for wave Garrick. Have also used them for streamer patterns for LM yellows, bass and Tigers. The 3/0 would be my no1 hook for Greenspots.

BTW Check some of the earlier threads on circles vs J-hooks...

Quote Originally Posted by HolyGT View Post
    Have also used them for streamer patterns for LM yellows, bass and Tigers.
    Hi HolyGT mini hijack but could you maybe help me out with some info? I'd like to start fishing circles for tigers but I haven't had any reliable info from someone who's actually used them yet. I buy my hooks in bulk as they're not readily available in Zambia so I didn't want to order 1000 hooks only to find that they don't work. I'm about to order hooks again for this season so if the circles are the way to go I might go 50/50 with them and J's...

Quote Originally Posted by kevzambia View Post
    Hi HolyGT mini hijack but could you maybe help me out with some info? I'd like to start fishing circles for tigers but I haven't had any reliable info from someone who's actually used them yet. I buy my hooks in bulk as they're not readily available in Zambia so I didn't want to order 1000 hooks only to find that they don't work. I'm about to order hooks again for this season so if the circles are the way to go I might go 50/50 with them and J's...
    Forgive me for butting in here. I have used circles for tigers, and did not notice any advantage. When fishing for tigers, you need to strike quite hrd anyway, to set the hook in their hard mouth. this kind of defeats the whole theory behind the circle hook , don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by kevzambia View Post
    Where you don't want to use wire and fish close to structure I prefer to use them. Deadly on Nembwe in structure as well and negates the use of a weed guard. Plus the hook-up is normally good in the scissor or top top jaw (ala Nymph style). Not sure if that is coincedence, but would be good to get more feedback on hook-up up position from you in future after you use them. Saying that I still use the Gama SL12's and Stingers on some patterns though.

Regards 'striking', tip down hold on to the line and Strip strike if needed. I normally strip double handed, so that forces me not to lift the rod tip until at least the first jump.

Give me your local address and I will send you some circles to try. (have bought in bulk last year myself ). I am keen to see how they compare to J's in your experience with regards to fish over 10lbs...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast