Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: you thought we have problems with our rivers

Default you thought we have problems with our rivers

i have just received a copy of a fishing trade magazine and in bold print they have announced that nearly all the well known rivers have been closed INDEFINITLY,
    the rivers like the battenkill,dean,deschutes,greenfork, henry's fork, madison,snake river,umpqua, yellowstone,san jaun and several others i don't recognise.
    the rivers close from the 1st of feb this year due to whirling disease.

how about that as a measure to deal with something?

having just typed this, i went to the simms site and i don't find anything apart a pledge you sign. promising to clean all your fishing kit after every trip.so i'm not sure if this is a Advert or if its a real deal.

if its real, then 10 points for taking a very hard call, imagine what that could mean to the flyfishing industry in the states this season.

if anyone knows more please enlighten us.

FlyFanatic Banned User

ouch!!!

Gary
    I have mailed a fly tackle shop owner in the Catskills, where most of the rivers mentioned , are situated.
    Will let you know in the morning what the true state is.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by garyatstealth View Post
    i have just received a copy of a fishing trade magazine and in bold print they have announced that nearly all the well known rivers have been closed INDEFINITLY,
    the rivers like the battenkill,dean,deschutes,greenfork, henry's fork, madison,snake river,umpqua, yellowstone,san jaun and several others i don't recognise.
    the rivers close from the 1st of feb this year due to whirling disease.

how about that as a measure to deal with something?

having just typed this, i went to the simms site and i don't find anything apart a pledge you sign. promising to clean all your fishing kit after every trip.so i'm not sure if this is a Advert or if its a real deal.

if its real, then 10 points for taking a very hard call, imagine what that could mean to the flyfishing industry in the states this season.

if anyone knows more please enlighten us.
    Whirling disease (Myxosoma cerebralis). The fish ingest spores which release trophozoites into the intestine. these migrate via the blood to the cartilage, mainly in the head of the fish, where they reproduce. Mostly affects young fish. once the cartilige in the head has ossified to bone, the fish are resistant. Affects all salmonids severely. The disease was origionally confined to western Europe, but has spread (via fish transortations) throughout all of Europe, and North America.

What else you wanna know?
    ref; Fish Pathology, Reichenbach-Klinke

Quote Originally Posted by Surly Ghillie View Post
    What else you wanna know?
    Who was the second gunman on the grassy knoll....?

P.S. The idea of cleaning your kit is to rid it of spores which may migrate from water to water via waders, and other items of anger aparrel, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Who was the second gunman on the grassy knoll....?
    Obama bin-laden
    Tali Banana

Quote Originally Posted by Surly Ghillie View Post
    Obama bin-laden
    Tali Banana
    Uncle BOB and Jabob Bazooka.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Sorry, whenever I see uncle bob or d!ck head zuma mentioned......I forget all reasonability Now in my state of confusion, having been exposed to the clowns....How long does this "parasite" live? I'm thinking of our fishing here on the streams and guys have said that in NZ the felt is banned etc. Normally you would fish a beat....pack up and go home.....wash the boots that day or the next, and leave to dry for the next weekends outing. Can they survive so long till the next trip?
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    Can they survive so long till the next trip?
    Rols
    Spores are the dormant state of fungi and other microorganisms. It is also very light and can therefore be easily distributed by natural means. Spores can usually survive very harsh conditions. As soon as the conditions become favourable the spore will germinate and cause fungal growth or infection.

Cheers
    Stan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast