Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Fly line for Yellows!

Andre, would you use that line on Sterkies??

BTW, great debate, really enjoying this thread...
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMuM View Post
    Sci-Angler did a test, and it was interesting to see that the guides were actually smother and showed less wear than with a conventional line. It kind of reconditioned them...

Don’t have the exact details with me...
    Interesting,I expected worse to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Thanks Andre, that's just what I needed to know!

My real deep-seated thought, I guess was, could the SS floating line technology - avec attendant sophistication - be adapted to an intermediate line without all the memory of certain brands?

I agree 100 pct it would be wasted on a sinking line.

Whether such a line could be produced as 'invisible' to us or the fish - if it matters at all - is yet another question..
    Chris, i am sure that it could be developed in sinking and intermidiate, but why? The whole advantage of the line is geared around the applications of floating line. It is more than just a nice casting line with little memory. For me, i wouldn't look at the shark skin for sinking applications because I believe a smooth line is better for this anyway. If it's low memory you want, the Sci anglers DI's and intermediates are great as they are., and a change to the surface characteristics would not provide any advantage. In my opinion, Sci anglers should put more development into perfecting thier clear intermediate line, as I believe there could be room for some improvement in it's memory characteristics. While a good line, it's still far from perfect.

Great thanks, Andre, it's good for me to be at the cutting edge with what's afoot!
    Last edited by chris williams; 12-02-09 at 06:03 PM.
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMuM View Post
    Andre, would you use that line on Sterkies??

BTW, great debate, really enjoying this thread...
    Mike, i have never fished Sterkies, but if i understand it to be crystal clear water, fishing small surface flies and shallow nymphs, to sighted spooky yellows in shallow water, absolutely. I would look no further for the ultimate line for this type of application

Sorry for coming in so late ,
    I'm busy testing a Ridge, nymph line for Gary.
    My findings to date ( about 20 trips ). The line has NO memory, floats high and is easily mendable. After a full days fishing the tip still floats, which may be due to the welded loop.
    It loads the rod quickly ( like at 6m ) and still casts a full line with ease.
    I was specifically asked NOT to clean the line at all for the first year, just to test the theory that the Ridge lines build up dirt in the valleys and start sinking. Well as I said earlier , there has been no sign of that.
    If I'm correct the line has the same technology in the core as the Sixth sense range = no stretch, and I must say that when a fish takes you feel it straight away.
    As to the price of the line, I have no idea, don't even know if it's been released yet.
    Competency of the line on the Vaal, ? so far I'm pleasantly surprised, especially after all the negative reports about the original Ridge lines.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Maybe ask Garry to give us some feedback on the line Herman?

I'm looking at replacing my 444 soon so would like to hear some more options out there that doesn't need me to break the bank.

Thank for all the great info guys! I went and bought the Rio Nymph line! It seems to be pretty close to the Airflo Yellow Fish line! Got it at a really good price!
    Carpe Diem

Rio is one of the few lines I have not tried, I would be intrested to hear your thoughts after a year or so...
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Dizzy! Would it still be ok to use on sterkies or is it better to get a line that will present well!
    Carpe Diem

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast