Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sage ZXL 2wt

Default Sage ZXL 2wt

I was fortunate enoung to have a few casts with sage's new ZXL 8foot 4 piece 2wt. The one i tested is the only one in the country at the moment, and sadly has been sold to a gent from the UK, so it will be leaving our shores imminently.
    Anyway, this little rod is superb. I was originally under the impression that it would have a similar action to the old LL, but was mistaken, the ZXL is marketed as a premium rod, and the high end of sage's small stream offerings, where as the LL was always touted as a mid budget to entry level sage. The rod loads quickly for a medium action rod, due to some weight that can be felt in the tip section. It is the first rod that i can feel loading, on the back cast, with only 1 meter of fly line out the rod tip. With the faster TXL and Z-Axis rods, you simply cannot feel the load on the short cast.
    I also noticed that the ZXL didn't mind being "pushed " a little. It is quite capable of shooting a reasonable distance with one good haul.

Applications where it would be suited...ideal for the Cape streams, Rhodes etc, and shouldn't struggle with two nymphs and an indicatior. Should be ideal in tight windy conditions as well.

Down side....I don't know how a 4 piece 2 wt is going to be accepted in SA, but it seems to work for this rod.

Overall conclusion...At R8K, you are going to have to love it, which isn't going to be difficult. I have always prefferred sages slightly faster actioned rods, but now, i don't know so much. This little stick is special.

yip... I want the 8'6 3w... really want it...
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Mike, the 8'6'' 3wt is one I've got on order to be made up for me..my mouth's already drooling - mind you, so will my bank manager's albeit for a different reason!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Stellenbosch and Kuils River, Western Cape

Andre
    That rod is really something special! Those ZXL rods are the prettiest Sages I seen in a long time!
    If I had the cash I would buy it in a heart beat. Unfortunately I be eating wedding for the rest of the year!
    Last edited by shector; 13-02-09 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Mike, the 8'6'' 3wt is one I've got on order to be made up for me..my mouth's already drooling - mind you, so will my bank manager's albeit for a different reason!
    Basterdo................
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

I built a ZXL 8'4wt 4 piece awhile ago. My rationale for selecting this wt was that the rod was a 4 piece, which makes transport via aircraft or motorcycle easy. I had a txl 2wt and a z-axis 3wt which also influenced my selection of line wt. Down here in the Cape a 4wt is regarded as an estuary rod but no matter. After having used this rod exclusively for quite awhile I have really fallen in love with the ZXL. So much so, that I gave my TXL away. The smoothness and versatility of the ZXL never ceases to amaze me. The 4 wt does not bother me and, in fact, seems to assist roll casting casting weighted nymphs, handling wind and long leaders effortlessly etc.

I hate to expound the virtues of Sage on this forum since this action always elicits negative reaction from certain members, but, in this instance, I really believe that Sage have once again set a new benchmark for stream rods.

Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMuM View Post
    Basterdo................
    As per the PMs Mike, you can have a go once it's ready!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    I built a ZXL 8'4wt 4 piece awhile ago. My rationale for selecting this wt was that the rod was a 4 piece, which makes transport via aircraft or motorcycle easy. I had a txl 2wt and a z-axis 3wt which also influenced my selection of line wt. Down here in the Cape a 4wt is regarded as an estuary rod but no matter. After having used this rod exclusively for quite awhile I have really fallen in love with the ZXL. So much so, that I gave my TXL away. The smoothness and versatility of the ZXL never ceases to amaze me. The 4 wt does not bother me and, in fact, seems to assist roll casting casting weighted nymphs, handling wind and long leaders effortlessly etc.

I hate to expound the virtues of Sage on this forum since this action always elicits negative reaction from certain members, but, in this instance, I really believe that Sage have once again set a new benchmark for stream rods.
    Hey Neil! Long time! When we seeing you around these parts again ?

Shaun

Greetings. Maybe I'll sneak a little trip in soon. Will let you know. Are you allowed to fish these days?

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    Shaun

Greetings. Maybe I'll sneak a little trip in soon. Will let you know. Are you allowed to fish these days?
    Butofcourse!

Only thing keeping me indoors is the weather ! Rain rain rain!

Reckon March - May is going to be epic on the rivers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast