Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sonstraal and the Law

Unhappy Sonstraal and the Law

Got klapped with a R30 fine at Sonstraal yesterday. R30 for a nice afternoons fishing and a 2kg carp on fly is actually not bad. Apparently all that can happen is a consequent R30 fine if I get caught again. I gave my true details to the officer (which was very cool guy just doing his job) but I hate doing things out side the law. But where else is sighted fishing so good for carp, and the bug has really bitten me badly. I am an Environmental Consultant and believe my impact and footprint is minimal. The pap gooiers has buggered it up for every one (sorry to generalize) but I had to take hooks out of ducks beaks before and seen guys throwing stones at the ducks to get them away from floating bread with hooks in resulting in the above. Is there anyway we can lobby this; else I might just have to keep paying my 30 bucks every now and then. Any opinions on this?

Cheers

R

Im stay in JHB and dont know the Cape too well, is sonstraal a municipal water? Is it protected or something?

From the title I thought the story was going to be related to a female and some obscure deeds

Where is Sonstraal (other than outside on a sunny day)?
    Barend Esterhuizen Pr Eng

"But engineering isn't about perfect solutions; it's about doing the best you can with limited resources."
    The last lecture, Randy Pausch

What was the fine for, and which department issued it?

First time that I heard of a fine issued. Sonstraal is a municipal dam in that fall under the Durbanville Municipality. A moratorium was placed on all fishing due to the water quality issues and fishermen getting the blame for it's current state.(Not that 200+ geese sh1tting all over the place messed it up in the first place!)
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

I have fished Sonstraal and Vygeboom quite often, but with threats of fines in the air decided to let the carp be for now... Apparently they are going to issue an additional fine of R500 with the R30. The R500 is for breaking the law, because they put up signs stating that fishing is not permitted. How true this is, I cannot say. In my opinion they made a helluva mess with both the dams. The dams aren't managed properly and yet the fisherman get the blame.

I basically grew up next to that dam and can only imagine what other mischief the youngsters would get into because they aren't allowed to have a constructive afternoons fishing with mates anymore. It is sad that a few rotten apples spoiled the bunch, because it is an awesome sight fishing venue aswell as a place to get the kids into the sport.

I would love to get a few qualified ecologists opnions on the state of the dams, seeing that 2 years ago they initially closed the dams because of an Avian Botulism outbreak. I have fished both dams since then and have not noticed abnormal numbers of bird deaths. The whole issue gets me boiling. I'll ask Dirk Smit to contribute aswell seeing that he had contact with the officers.

and 500 after lunch pooopholle, come throw all the leftovers into the water, fridays bread till sundays up chuck pudding, gets thrown in there.....but thats all fine. easier to catch knucklehead with a fly, than the dumpers throwing the cr^p in the water. It boggles the brain.....that any person in the office of muncipal or whoever is in charge of these waters can bypass the other "abusers" and only target fisherfolk. Admitted, there are some untidy fisher people out there, but c'mon already.................(waits for a reporter to grab hold of the post and make some noise)
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Not sure where you got the R500 fine from since I got caught the next day again and the fine still remained R30. The fine was issued by the City of Cape Town law enforcement. The officers were very cool and told me to take it up with Altus De Wet. If I get no response I will speak to Director City Parks Christa Le Roux if still no response Miss Helen and I will chat :-) then the news papers

Not sure if I should lobby it from the perspective that only fly fishermen should be allowed since it is the bread throwers causing the trouble. Any opinions on this?

Sad to think that there is 13 dams in Durbanville where on 2 Allow legal fishing

Hi Rseebach, we were there yesterday morning and the fishing was ON!! Then a very agro toppie, who had no sense of humor started giving us a hard time, we had to pack it up. Not lekka fishing like that when people gives you lip the whole time, we did not bother anybody and stayed away from the ducks, but still got k@k. Makes me mad.
    Some men go to church on Sundays thinking about fishing, others go fishing thinking about G0d.

I completely agree: why should we flyfishers suffer because of others (fishermen included) not having the decency to clean up after themselves. I therefore support the idea of only flyfishing allowed at Sontraal. And again the ducks... Why are people making such a big fuss about them? Catch the people harassing the ducks and leave us to "harass" the fish.

I also agree with rseebach that it truely is sad that only 2 dams may legally be fished in Durbanville area. Rseebach, could you please tell me which dams these are? It feels as if though people are out to destroy the joy of fishing in our area Makes me mad and sad!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast