Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: what rod would you recommend?

Default what rod would you recommend?

I have been thinking of buy another fly rod. I own a 8# 9ft but i think i need something a bit (a lot) lighter. I need something that gives a lot more bend and fight when i catch fish like yellowfish, bass and trout.

What would you weight and brand do you think i would need?

These are what i am planning on doing with it:

Catching yellows and bass in a river the Cederberg.

Springer at sandvlei (maybe).

Bass at Wienshof.

Maybe start trout?

Any help would be great.

Cheers

10ft 5wt should be good for the bend, but a 6wt will give you more fight. Might be a little light for springer.

Good value for money: Stealth Magnum 510

What's your budget?
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

I go a stealth 5wt, 10 ft. Getting used to its length, but overall, a good buy
    I'm not addicted to fishing, I can quit anytime my wife makes me!!

FlyFanatic Banned User

Explorer Classic 2, 5/6wt 9ft. Nice all round rod!

Go to Phillip at Eikendal. He's got a selection of rods that you can try beofre you but.
    I recently purchased a TFO 6 weight 10 foot. I Love it.
    Peter

Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going - Jim Ryun

Let's keep it real..

Personally I would recommend a 10 foot #5 with a nice through action. For short accurate casting you can put a #6 line on it. It is also the correct rod for what is called "Czech Nymphing".

I don't know what makes or types are available to you in SA but in the UK, your choice is unbelievable. Personally here I would buy a Greys Streamflex or a Sonik. Either of them you can pick up for less than £100 if you shop around.

Unless you are possessed of unlimited finances, I would steer clear of the Big S or Big L rods. For the enormous amount of money you are expected to fork out for a 25 quid blank with 10 quids worth of fittings and 5 quids worth of labour, it is just not worth it. Such rods are also subject to the law of diminishing returns.

Rather spend your money on a few other rods of different line weights instead.

Depending on your budget I would suggest a Stealth #5 10foot Magnum as per Rendier.

It gives you the length for extra reach when you czech nymph for SM yellows.
    Fishing dams for trout, it is a lovely rod, with medium fast to fast action. Enough back bone to cast a team of 3 flies, and the lenght allows you to be able to fish the flies on the "drop"
    As a bass rod, I like the extra lenght to allow you to reach over structure when fishing from the bank.
    The medium fast to fast action gives you enought backbone to allow you to cast in estuaries with a fairly large fly.
    For a 10 foot rod it comes in a 4 piece, which makes travelling easier as it should fit in most larger suitcases.
    You can also fish the Cape streams with it if you have to.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

How much does a stealth go for because that sounds like a good idea.

My budget is around R500.

That might be slightly problematic....

My thoughts exactly...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast