Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sonstraal Petition

Default Sonstraal Petition

Gentleman/ Ladies (if any)

Here goes - not as if I have time for this sort of thing.

I had a lengthy chat to a rep, from City Parks. Who said that my case to open Sontraal to fly fisherman might have some merit and gave me some pointers on how to go about it.

Firstly reasons for closing the dam:

 Hooks and lines in the dam cause birds to die.
     Half dead fish being thrown back die and these deaths (plus deaths from birds) result in a health threat namely Avian Botulism (will check with a vet if this is Zoonic)
     Fisherman littering and making noise etc.

We will have to come up with mitigation and produce a factual case why fly fisherman is mostly not to blame for the above. Sounds like the decision to close all dams were political and not based on any form of science.

What I will do is draft a letter to the Sub council Chair presenting our case but first circulate to all for comment.

If you would like to be part of this petition and the more the merry, please send me an email to rseebach@gmail.com with your comment on why fly fisherman should have access to Sonstraal. Things like the only place to do sighted fishing for carp is valid and/ or you grew up here it holds heritage value will do but please don't go on about ducks shitting every where...Jokes.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers
    Rudi

Great intiative Rudi.

I spoke to Altus de Wet approx 2 years ago, and he wasn't very forthcoming. Seems like the Duck Lady has him under her wing, so to speak
    Last edited by Rendier; 16-02-09 at 03:00 PM.
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

I see the sign posts does not say anything about, NO DUCK HUNTING. I'm working on my kettie right now....LOL

No serious, I'm glad you are not taking this lying down, will think of some things and let you know.
    Some men go to church on Sundays thinking about fishing, others go fishing thinking about G0d.

I will let all the local fly fishers know, there are quite a few guys that will be more than happy to join and post a comment.

Ok Rudi, you have mail, lets see if we can change these narrow minded peoples' minds.
    Some men go to church on Sundays thinking about fishing, others go fishing thinking about G0d.

Blog Entries

Good luck guys,i have had dealings with Altus de wet and the guy does not budge much on official policy, i would say your best approach would be to get the people who live around the dam on side first then contact the powers that be.Also contact Tygerburger newspaper they are always interetsted in Dam stories.

Good luck
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    Good luck guys,i have had dealings with Altus de wet and the guy does not budge much on official policy, i would say your best approach would be to get the people who live around the dam on side first then contact the powers that be.Also contact Tygerburger newspaper they are always interetsted in Dam stories.

Good luck
    Thanks Nicholas, you have a good point there, we need to make the people around the dam realize that we are not the enemy, and we are more than willing to work with them. If they can be "turned" I think Altus will go with that.

Hi Altus was actualy very helpfull on the phone,it was him who gave me pointers on how to approach this. The decision does not lie with him. Our correspondence will have to go to Adv. Ipsor who chairs the subcouncil.

Quote Originally Posted by rseebach View Post
    Hi Altus was actualy very helpfull on the phone,it was him who gave me pointers on how to approach this. The decision does not lie with him. Our correspondence will have to go to Adv. Ipsor who chairs the subcouncil.
    Adv. Ipsor,,,,,
    I wonder how much propery he has accumulated on the shores of the dam.
    When one deals with Municipal Red Tape and an Advocate in the same breath, I would be worried , VERY worried.
    There again Flytalk must have the only straight ( meant in every meaning that you can think of . ) Advocate in the Cape ( if not the country) in Toxic Cox.
    It might be worthwile asking Mr. Cox Esq. for some advice on this matter.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Hi all,My manager is the founder of a non profit orginisation called Recreational fishing services,it is them who fight for the crayfish seasons etc every year,he has started a freshwater department and is gonna help us fight this bullshit,hopefully we can sort this out ASAP,but to be hounest i dont think its fair that just flyfisherman are allowed,it should be fishing for all,people should just be well educated on how to treat fish etc.

Cheers
    Dirk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast