Thread: Goonch Catfish

FlyFanatic Banned User

Default Goonch Catfish

Hey guys,

Have any of you heard about this monster? Its a catfish species in India, that has attacked and according to locals eaten a teen last year!!

It seems that the Hindo people, dump the burnt bodies of their dead into the river for some religious purpose, and the catfish have started feeding on them. Result is that they grow ENORMOUS!! Estimates are that they could exceed 200kg's!!

Here is a pic of the fish. They have teeth like a shark!! Scary shit!!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle1784470.ece

I have read about them and they are monsters.It is strange that they grow so big in smaller rivers.
    Have a look at this Thailand species.Its a tiger catfish.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Google Goonch.
    Some very interesting articles and stunning photos.
    If that ended up in the Vaal, mixed with all the pollutants we are in for some DEEP shite.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Google Goonch.
    Some very interesting articles and stunning photos.
    If that ended up in the Vaal, mixed with all the pollutants we are in for some DEEP shite.
    Or one helluve lot of fun. Who needs a trolling motor, just hook one of those monsters and get towed to where you want to "jump off".

In passing, does anyone know of a Vundu being caught on fly?
    Whe have all read about the barbel run, but realistically they get to max 40kg.
    Vundu get up to 70kg. Has anyone ever caught one on fly, irrespective of size?????
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

FlyFanatic Banned User

Bill Hansford Steel mentions that he has caught vundo as well as other barbel species (including the Bayad). But i dont know of someone who has actually targeted them specifically.

Herman, just got an idea, why dont we phone the Indian Government and tell them we'll get rid of their killer catfish, free of charge, they just have to pay our airplane tickets!!

I like your thinking.

I was one of the fortunate who was born and grew up in what was Rhodesia.
    One school holiday a year, normally April, meant 10 days at Mana Pools, within the Mana Pools Game Reserve.
    In the pools themselves Bream of 10lb were not uncommon. In the river's side channels Chessa of around 4lb ( makes a 4kg SM Yellow look like a wet sack ), Nkupe of 3lb, and of course big daddy , the VUNDU, average weight around 30kg.
    All these fish were caught on bait.

Please someone post a SBS of a "Rotten Ox Heart " Vundu fly in #3/0.
    P.S. Include the ingredients for the smell.

I know that the Mana area can be accessed from the Zambian side through various tour operators. But to do it again via the "old route", Karoi,top of the escarpment, and then you are on your own, except for Chirundu which is about 160km's away by road, bot only 80 odd by boat ( if you are mad enough to try going upstream , err upriver .)
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFanatic View Post
    Bill Hansford Steel mentions that he has caught vundo as well as other barbel species (including the Bayad). But i dont know of someone who has actually targeted them specifically.

Herman, just got an idea, why dont we phone the Indian Government and tell them we'll get rid of their killer catfish, free of charge, they just have to pay our airplane tickets!!
    They'll get the air tickets at 20% off....
    I'm not addicted to fishing, I can quit anytime my wife makes me!!

Jeremy Wade now on channel 121 in search of the giant Goonch.
    Gerrit Viljoen