Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gatti (frlw)

Default Gatti (frlw)

I have seen a few guys mention the Gatti range of rods. I was just wondering if anyone has actually used one or owns one and if so what are your impressions?

I am mostly interested in the FRLW range. Any idea how they'd match up on our small streams?

Secondly, I think I remember in Ed's newsletter last week he mentioned they are now available locally (SA). Anyone have an idea of who stocks them?

not sure, Grant. i have also been trying to find out what they're like - the blanks more specifically - as an option for my next rod build
    the patient mental...

Can't say I own one, or have cast one. But Tony has cast one, and he has categorically stated that this is the next technology... Mario has more info…

But, he who gets one first, wins…
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMuM View Post
    But, he who gets one first, wins…
    is that a challange?
    the patient mental...

Where is Mario ? Would be great if we could find out who the local supplier is. I'm quite keen to build another rod, this time a little stream rod, and perhaps a Gatti would be a good choice. Interested in a 3wt probably.

i see the frlw series rods are all designed as 2wt's, but the lengths vary quite nicely. there are 5 options:

FRLW 702-3TA - 7'
    FRLW 762-3TA - 7'6"
    FRLW 802-3TA - 8'
    FRLW 862-3TA - 8'6"
    FRLW 902-3TA - 9'

they are all 3 piece rods
    the patient mental...

South African supplier (according to Gatti)

Derek Smith
    24 Dirk Road Northwold Randburg
    Phone 27117935717 - 27833073163
    E-mail: Derek.Smith@standardbank.co.za
    the patient mental...

Brilliant, thanks Devlin.

And application for small streams? The different length options is one of the attractions for me, but this is a Tip Flex (Fast) rod.

I know an action is pretty much a personal preference thing but it should still be considered when deciding what the rod will be used for. If this rod is fast, then I would imagine it would not protect light tippets as well and short distance accuracy might be affected?

I guess a secondary question would be - who uses fast action rods on the streams and do you have problems when using 6/7x and hooking larger fish? Do you do anything to prevent the leader popping?

Hi Grant,

From what I have read on the Gatti website, there are a variety of different actions on the rods they produce, not just a fast tip action.

I'm not interested in a fast action for streams. Fast action is definitely my preference on stillwaters, but I prefer a medium to full action rod for the streams I fish.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast