Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know this species -Oncorhynchus mykiss

0266395 Banned User

Default Does anyone know this species -Oncorhynchus mykiss

Does anyone know this species. It is an alien (I assume it is a fish). I saw a scientific paper abstract about feeding overlap among SM yellows, catfish and this alien in Sterkfontein Dam (http://www.wrc.org.za/downloads/wate...20abstract.pdf ). There is no info about this species in the abstract and I was wondering if anyone know the species. What is it, has anyone caught it on fly, does it threaten any indigenous species and should fly anglers and yellow fever sufferers know about it?
    Herman

Quote Originally Posted by 0266395 View Post
    Does anyone know this species. It is an alien (I assume it is a fish). I saw a scientific paper abstract about feeding overlap among SM yellows, catfish and this alien in Sterkfontein Dam (http://www.wrc.org.za/downloads/wate...20abstract.pdf ). There is no info about this species in the abstract and I was wondering if anyone know the species. What is it, has anyone caught it on fly, does it threaten any indigenous species and should fly anglers and yellow fever sufferers know about it?
    Herman
    Shit!! Herman!! maybe ask Clarias, family connections here!!
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by 0266395 View Post
    Does anyone know this species. It is an alien (I assume it is a fish). I saw a scientific paper abstract about feeding overlap among SM yellows, catfish and this alien in Sterkfontein Dam (www.wrc.org.za/downloads/watersa/1996/Jan/0933%20abstract.pdf ). There is no info about this species in the abstract and I was wondering if anyone know the species. What is it, has anyone caught it on fly, does it threaten any indigenous species and should fly anglers and yellow fever sufferers know about it?
    Herman
    You joking right? Rainbow Trout
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Oom Herman, Favourite Flies and Select Techniques.

It is the Latin for Rainbow trout. Rainbow trout in Sterkies... interesting...

0266395 Banned User

Never too old to learn! Thanks
    Herman

0266395 Banned User

To my defence, I must add that when I last paid attention to scientific names of fish, rainbows were Salmo gairdneri. That was quite some time ago, I quess.
    Herman

I have heard quite a few reports about rainbows in sterkies.

Most stories have come from "pap gooiers" using earthworms as bait and hooking into a rainbow.

One guy even claimed to have pics of the fish caught but i never followed up to get the pics. I will try and get hold of him to get the pics.

Cheers
    Damien
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    You joking right? Rainbow Trout
    Cant be. Rainbow trout are not invasive.....
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Cant be. Rainbow trout are not invasive.....
    Indeed!!!
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

0266395 Banned User

Thanks Daryl. With so many aliases it is no wonder I am confused! http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Salmo_gairdneri.
    Herman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast