Thread: Marks on Smallmouth Bass

Default Marks on Smallmouth Bass

Good Morning, I caught this nice smallmouth at Wiesenhof yesterday, but would like to know what can cause these marks on the fish? On the onther side there was a white fungus type thing all over the body. Does this mean the water quality there is not so gtreat or what? The fish was fine and gave me a great fight, just a pity about the marks, doesn't look great.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Some men go to church on Sundays thinking about fishing, others go fishing thinking about G0d.

Initial thoughts are Cormorant bite marks
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Thanks. I also thought it was bite marks, until I saw the other side full of the fungus stuff, pity I didn't take a pic of it.
    Some men go to church on Sundays thinking about fishing, others go fishing thinking about G0d.

Quote Originally Posted by Rendier View Post
    Initial thoughts are Cormorant bite marks
    my thoughts as well

Fish fungus (called Saprolegnia) is a secondary pathogen. There has to be some type of wound to start it off. It doesn't really have anything to do with water quality (OK, in fish farms it does, but not really in natural systems).

The underlying wound (which also looks like some kind of ulcer-causing bacteria has gotten in there) doesn't look to me like cormorant bites- but then it is only a photo.

The fungus can attack any part of the fish where the mucous layer on the skin has been disturbed. The most usual scenario in fished waters is that the fish has been caught before. If it was dropped on the ground or damaged otherwise (eg dry hands), the fungus kicks in after the fish has been released.

The fish's immune system can usually fight the fungus off, but stress and large amounts of primary damage sometimes allow the fungus to take over. When it gets really bad (like in this fish for example), the fungus even spreads to healthy parts of the fish's skin, and can be seen as thin, short, white filaments sticking out of the skin.

That's why it is important to handle fish with WET hands and not to drop them too much. It just makes the post- release survival of the fish go down once it has to start fending off all the pathogens taking advantage of the damaged mucous layer.

Hope this answers your question. I can't be 100% percent sure just from looking at the photo, but this is how these things work.

Clarias, thank you, I think you are spot on, it didn't look like bite marks to me.

"and can be seen as thin, short, white filaments sticking out of the skin." This is what the other side of the fish looked like.

Thank you for the detailed response, just shows how important it is to take care when handleing fish!

Don't mind this post, it's for Eben.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cheers Gert
    Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery element are made for wise men to contemplate, and for fools to pass by without consideration - Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by Chucky07 View Post
    Bass will chow that ONE-TIME!! Nice!!

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by Chucky07 View Post
    Nice fly! Perfect colour combination! (While bassing on conventional tackle I have found the Junebug colour to be my most productive all-round colour)

Will definately steal with my eyes