Thread: Doornkraal Dam - Durbanville

Default Doornkraal Dam - Durbanville

Where exacltly is Doornkraal dam and is the fishing any good?

Looks like one of the few places one is allowed to fish at in the Northern subhurbs.

Hi Rudi, is it not Doordekraal or also known as Bellwaterpark? or am I missing the pot here.

PS took the laaitie to feed ducks at Sonstraal, saw some Big ones swimming around, but also saw the Metro cops twice
    Some men go to church on Sundays thinking about fishing, others go fishing thinking about G0d.

Ja that Sonstraal is still a sad state of affairs. Must be punishment seeing those fatties swimming around and not being able to cast a flie. I gona keep bugging that councilor. The dam is doordekraal see attached, where is that and any good on fly?

Hi Rudi, been there once, but did not fish. I took the Jip De Jager turn off from the N1, and all the way up, and turned right towards Tygervalley Road, you will see the dam on your right, not from the area so my directions is a bit screwed up. Didn't fish it, but it looks great for Float Tubing and saw some pics of nice bass there. Would like to give it a go on the fly rod one day.
    Some men go to church on Sundays thinking about fishing, others go fishing thinking about G0d.

Thanks for the info

Clive, SaltyBugger, has had some success there:
    http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/group...pictureid=1176
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Hi guys. Last time I went to Doordekraal Dam I was very disappointed with the condition of the designated fishing areas. These areas were mostly overgrown by reeds. I fished there in the "good old days" when one was still allowed to fish where you wanted. Some good bass were taken from the dam wall between the reeds. A small inflatable boat or float tube is definately the way to go as I have heard that many fish get taken around the islands. Unfortunately I have also heard that people around the dam do not take kindly to boaters. Has this maybe changed? Anyone boating/tubing recently? I also feel that a daily tariff of R30 is a bit much. I do hope that one day a better compromise will be reached, not just reagrding fishing at Doordekraal, but fishing at other venues in this area as well (Sonstraal, Magic Forest, etc.)

Tight lines!