Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Mielie Bread

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtooth View Post
    Yummy recipe
    You really do have some excellent recipes! Next time I am Sydney, I'll be looking you up for a braai
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Mate.....more than welcome to drop in.

Goes for anyone else passing through if I'm not away fishing.
    Just drop PM.
    Last edited by Kevin James; 29-05-09 at 10:57 AM.

Hey man,

thanks for the recipe. Sounds good. wanted the recipe for september holidays but may have to "try" it out before that to make sure i get it right on th trip.

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew mate....

Pretty much what Dogtooth said but try this for your bread dough:-

1kg flour (bread or cake flour)

1 pkt instant dry yeast

1.5 teaspoons of salt

1 350ml bottle of beer

Handful of sun dried tomatoes and dried olives soaked in hot water for 40 minutes.

Mix the dry ingredients and add the olives and tomatoes. Add the beer then fill the bottle with lukewarm water and add that. Knead and allow to prove for an hour or two. Knead down and place into greased flat pot then slash the top to stop it bursting the crust. Should fill pot to around 1/4 of the way when kneaded down. Allow to prove for 40 minutes then place to edge of coals and place a few on the lid. Takes around 40-60 minutes to bake. Can also be taken to the braai in a plastic bag and get the first prove on the way if you make it just before leaving home. Add a tablespoon of veg oil for a softer crust.

Hint: the kneading is to stretch the dough and get air into it. Don't beat it to death or try to crush it. Can easily be done one handed once you have the technique of stretching and folding the dough down pat.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewbuch View Post
    Bit off topic but also a bit on topic:

Does anybody know a good recipe for a pot bread that can be cooked in a flat bottom cast iron pot, either over the coals or on a gas cooker??

Cheers

Andrew
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. H. L. Mencken

Every decent man is ashamed of his government.

Lardo

Sounds like a great recipe, mate, but methinks you need to come back to Gil's and civilisation post haste..! Gils Trad by the way at ZLBC towards a chilly sunset today was rather pleasant and I did take a sip or two for you!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Ta muchly, Yer Honour....

The Trad makes great hot cross buns as well. I'm working on a choc, marmalade and cinnamon beer bread (using Serious) to serve toasted with mulled ale. Got to experiment with it a bit when I get back. It is after all where the habit of toasting someone's health came from so why not resurrect it?
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. H. L. Mencken

Every decent man is ashamed of his government.

Dragging up ghosts from the past, but too good not to share.....

Grand Final lunch day.

IMG_2837 (Small).JPG

Smoked lamb, roasted potatoes and garlic with a steamed mielie bread.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin James View Post
    Dragging up ghosts from the past, but too good not to share.....

Grand Final lunch day.

IMG_2837 (Small).JPG

Smoked lamb, roasted potatoes and garlic with a steamed mielie bread.
    Man, that's an awesome meal!

Quote Originally Posted by Lardbeast View Post
    Andrew mate....

Pretty much what Dogtooth said but try this for your bread dough:-

1kg flour (bread or cake flour)

1 pkt instant dry yeast

1.5 teaspoons of salt

1 350ml bottle of beer

Handful of sun dried tomatoes and dried olives soaked in hot water for 40 minutes.

Mix the dry ingredients and add the olives and tomatoes. Add the beer then fill the bottle with lukewarm water and add that. Knead and allow to prove for an hour or two. Knead down and place into greased flat pot then slash the top to stop it bursting the crust. Should fill pot to around 1/4 of the way when kneaded down. Allow to prove for 40 minutes then place to edge of coals and place a few on the lid. Takes around 40-60 minutes to bake. Can also be taken to the braai in a plastic bag and get the first prove on the way if you make it just before leaving home. Add a tablespoon of veg oil for a softer crust.

Hint: the kneading is to stretch the dough and get air into it. Don't beat it to death or try to crush it. Can easily be done one handed once you have the technique of stretching and folding the dough down pat.
    My wife is a great baker. I'll recommend this to her.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4