Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bell Festival (Rhodes Area) - March 09

Default Bell Festival (Rhodes Area) - March 09

Hi All,

Has anyone heard any reports on the "Bell Festival - Rhodes Area" March 2009 that has just passed?
    Why I ask this question is that I was in the area a week before & I found the rivers (Sterkspruit/Bokspruit)flowing very strong. This made upstream fishing difficult. I also found that the rivers were holding many, many, many small fish (between 8 & 10cm). The bigger fish do not get a chance to take the fly.

It seems as if there are to many small fish around. Is this a good or bad thing?

later
    Francois
    AMFFF

2. Default

I will post the catch returns on the WTA site once they are sent to me by Dave. That should give you an indication of size and number of fish caught per beat etc.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Was the festival well supported.I fished that area about 2 years last and it sort of felt that the whole small stream trout thing has died out a bit in that area.
    Any news on whether Tiffendale has been taken over by new owners yet.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    Was the festival well supported.I fished that area about 2 years last and it sort of felt that the whole small stream trout thing has died out a bit in that area.
    35 participants, 9 guides and 3 special "guests" along with 3 of the Bell's group.

Clear smallstream fishing for trout has definately taken a backseat to the now more popular big brownwater fishing for yellowfish. I have some thoughts on why this is, will mail them to you, since it would only start another handbag-toss if I post it here.

Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    Any news on whether Tiffendale has been taken over by new owners yet.
    Looks like the Home Travel Channel - dunno forsure yet - just rumours.
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Interresting that you say small stream Trooting has declined a bit Mario, I would love to be able to small stream Troot as alternative to Yellowfishing but the nearest stream from Gauteng is further than the Vaal and Rhodes is prohibitively far away.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Interresting that you say small stream Trooting has declined a bit Mario, I would love to be able to small stream Troot as alternative to Yellowfishing but the nearest stream from Gauteng is further than the Vaal and Rhodes is prohibitively far away.
    I'll forward the mail/pm to you as well Scythe, people could take it the wrong way (as they usually do) when they read my thoughts. I'll send you the link if I decide to post it elsewhere. But ja, I hear you, and totally agree and understand your point.
    Mario Geldenhuys

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    I'll forward the mail/pm to you as well Scythe, people could take it the wrong way (as they usually do) when they read my thoughts. I'll send you the link if I decide to post it elsewhere. But ja, I hear you, and totally agree and understand your point.
    Mario would you mind pm'ing me too please? I'd like to know your thoughts on this. Just like Scythe, the only reason I dont do more stream fishing for trout is the distance involved - it requires a trip, rather than a quick afternoon drive for us gautengers.
    Check your knots!

I'm not really species specific, Troot, YellowFish doesn't matter as long as it is in running water.

Each species does have it's own appeal though.

The rate things are going now, I suspect the only real stream fishing we will be able to engage in eventually are the remote and protected Troot streams

9. Default

Sent you guys a PM btw - let me know if you got it.
    Mario Geldenhuys

Got it, agree wholeheartedly

There must be something wrong with me then, I like it when you have to work for them, get sweaty and bloody, fall asleep at the vise or on the road to your destination because you only got two hours of dos because you were up untill some unholy hour faffing with final preperations.

I reckon might as well fish like there is no tomorrow now, wouldn't want to try and jaag the k@k aan that I do now if I have a family and responsibilities other than the safety of just my own skin to be concerned with (though I probably will)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast