Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nice Stonebream

Default Nice Stonebream

Hi Guys

Just a quick pic , just got back from Cape Vidal and had a good morning session . Landed 3 nice stonebream first one was 28 cm , next one 32 cm and finally the last one was just over 40 cm , it completely filled the stripping basket and curved up a few cm's on both sides . I am guessing it weighs closer to the 2 kg mark but i need to check the fish calc . The site is down at the moment , anyone wanna take a flyer at the weight ? Gave me a good rev and took the fly like a champ , solid fight Pic attached . Will do a complete report back during the week sometime
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."

Awesome !

You just identified a species I saw on my last outing but didn't know what it was, these guys school very nicely together and seeing a whack of 30 odd of them together is really an impressive sight.

Purely out of curiosity, what flies and more importantly, what sizes did they take ?
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Awesome !

Purely out of curiosity, what flies and more importantly, what sizes did they take ?
    Double ditto!

Nice fish Adrian, I have shot plenty while spearfishing, but have yet to take on a fly, so I am very interested in hearing about the flies....
    Jan L. KorrŻbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Hi Guys

Orange was the flavour for the weekend . I used a Orange salty bugger size 6on a mustad 34007 . Other fisherman got on Flouro orange charlies with pearl body's . The Stonebream are a fantastic sight to see when riding the waves .They ride the waves like wave garrick do and eat/feed when the white water passes over shallow rocky areas . They Fight dirty and use there well shaped body's and the wave action to the best of their ability . They funny thing is they feed at certain and go off the bite fast , but when they come on the bite you can get them shot for shot . There were so many in the rocky bays i thought they were cape moonies from a distance .

Quote Originally Posted by JanK View Post
    Double ditto!

Nice fish Adrian, I have shot plenty while spearfishing, but have yet to take on a fly, so I am very interested in hearing about the flies....
    Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Awesome !

You just identified a species I saw on my last outing but didn't know what it was, these guys school very nicely together and seeing a whack of 30 odd of them together is really an impressive sight.

"My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."

Nice catch!

Scythe, stonebream (Neoscorpis lithophilus, are a rock-loving herbivorous species. They live in the white water washing over rocks and feed mostly on seaweed (and lots of it). However, when they get agro they can take small baits, and now I see, flies too!

From a length weight curve I have here, a 40cm fish would be about 1.3kgs, which looks about right from the photo. Very nice fish, they fight very hard.

The only time i've seen one of 2kgs plus was in Moz. A fish that big wouldn't have fit in the line tray...

Good stuff.

I saw ones the size of a big dinner plate, wondered what they were, will definitely be chucking a fly at them next time I am at that location.

funny how the Pompano keyed in on the Olive White, Chartreuse White and plain Pearl Salty buggers, will tie a few orange flies for next time.

Clarias, can you est by length the weight of Pompano too ?
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Orange was the flavour for the weekend. I used a Orange salty bugger size 6 on a mustad 34007.
    = "red bait" fly....

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Other fisherman got on Flouro orange charlies with pearl body's.
    = "red bait" tied down with fishing elastic

Your "on the bite" time - was that on the turn of the tide? Seemed to me from my spearfishing that feeding time for them was when the tide was turning, either up or down, and they would sit along the ledges in the white water waiting for stuff to wash off.
    Spearing for them meant a *heavy* weightbelt, short fins and short gun as you were sitting in the washing machine waiting for them to appear out of the white....good fun. Nice firm white flesh to eat.
    Jan L. KorrŻbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Spot on Jan , when the tides turn either way was good . I found the better was a pulling tide as you can walk further out on the ledges/bricks and still get into them . We also had luck at dead low and waded about 30 m or so out to a sandbar and casted into adjacent rocks with deep pools and as the waves passed over we had some luck .

Blog Entries

Nice fish Adrian - did you get it on the main beach fishing of the ledge?

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    Nice fish Adrian - did you get it on the main beach fishing of the ledge?
    Nah , too many tourists snorkelling etc and kitesurfers at the main bay . Headed south for 2 km's or so there is a nice bay and rip that allways delivers a good variety of fish .

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast