Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bass in the Lowveld

Are there croc's in Primkop and Injaka? There are none in Dagamma, Klipkop and Witklip.

I did see a hippo in Witklip once - gave the tube a pass that day.

Stuart, as far as I know there are no Hippos or Croc's. I have deffenitely not seen any while I have been there, they might be in Camo stalking the Banks for unsuspecting fisherman
    Last edited by Wolfie; 07-04-09 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Stuart, as far as I know there are no Hippos or Croc's I have deffenitely not seen any while I have been there, the might be in Camo stalking the Banks for unsuspecting fisherman
    Aah yes, the classic I didnt see any crocs so there shouldnt be any If the dams are connected to the Sabie and Crocodile rivers be carfeul - crocs walk miles. If there was a hippo there chances are there are crocs there.
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    Aah yes, the classic I didnt see any crocs so there shouldnt be any If the dams are connected to the Sabie and Crocodile rivers be carfeul - crocs walk miles. If there was a hippo there chances are there are crocs there.
    Besides that...hippos are more dangerous than crocs anyway!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Besides that...hippos are more dangerous than crocs anyway!!
    I would not want to bump into a 16 footer which I have seen so many times in Phalaborwa.....eish!
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Quote Originally Posted by Shamwari View Post
    I would not want to bump into a 16 footer which I have seen so many times in Phalaborwa.....eish!
    I stay clear of both...but hippos can f**k you up on land, the water...and even your boat. Hippos account for the most deaths by animal in Africa...if I see one in the water, I'm outta there.

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    yes defininetely brave !! I won't climb in a tube in Witklip,Primkop,klipkoppie,Dagama,Injaka,Braam Raubenheimer(can't remember the new name)...crocs & hippos all over. 2 years back a 4m croc made a snack of a farm worker on one of the farm dams we fish .

So what you're saying is - if the tube doesn't kill me - some random animal from the bush will.

Fly fishing in Africa. Who knew it could be so exciting?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I stay clear of both...but hippos can f**k you up on land, the water...and even your boat. Hippos account for the most deaths by animal in Africa...if I see one in the water, I'm outta there.
    Hy Mr National Geographic....You are 100% correct, remember I have had my fare share of encounters with Hippos...youlearn to say clear and can see them most of the time...

My mate had a 16ft Flattie in his bass dam....as soon as we arrived...Croc disappears......way to freeky for me...
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

There are hippo in Primmels people....plenty that tangle the pap goiers lines...and they tend to flank the right hand side bank vanaf die inloop.

P.S The largest bass in the lowveld have been coming out there the past 2 or so years...small dam with crazy fish in...Injaka not bad at all...I just wouldn't want to be on that body of water in a float tube....you'll kick for 4 days on end to get to the best producing spots.

Klipkopje you just need to know how to fish...that to is a A-class fishery. Pinelake because of the bass eagerness to eat in their will be good fun for fish upto the 2kg mark. Shiyolungubo dam is probably my fave dam in the area as it holds smallmouth, tucked away deep into the mountains and just stunning to say the least..problem is people say theft and robbery has been happening..I havent experienced this but caution should still be taken....especially as there is ZIP phone reception in those mountains...

And then obviously the 100's of private waters I have access to is also great..you like lilly pads we got dams with that..you like timber and we got those...rocks, boulders, streams etc we got it covered...

Just a general note to everyone in particular that would like to fish the Lowveld...THERE ARE ALWAYS THE RISK OF HIPPOS AND CROCS IN ALL I REPEAT ALL of our dams...we have come accross a croc or a hippo in any dam you can to mention...they walk and somehow they find themselves in these waters...I think pinelake is the only place we have never heard of this. So don't take chances....

Drie Koppies is not a good bet for fishing the past few years...lots of tiny little fish...and I bid farewell to the person who ever go's on there in a float tube lol....I have seen giant crocs in there everytime we fished there....

All in all we are friendly people and don't mind to share info and waters with others...just make contact with us atleast a week in advance, especially regarding private waters because the farmers need a heads up...

Take a look at some of these and you will know why I believe we have the best bass fishery in the country...and yes we have smashed the 7kg mark plenty times in our side of the world...we just don't like to brag so much about them in the magazines...

6kg.jpg

Plaasdam.jpg

4kg.jpg

Piet bass.jpg

Piet bass two.jpg

Jaco bass.jpg

Jan Paul bass.jpg
    The principles in life you gather from fly-fishing will make you a better more successfull person...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12