Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barbel in Gauteng

Default Barbel in Gauteng

I am wondering if there is anyone else on the forum specifically targetting barbel throughout the year in Gauteng.

I have been catching them in the normal places at Harties for years but it has got to the point where even my steel guts cannot take the smell anymore.

I am looking for other places where they can be consistently caught in certain conditions at certain times.

I've been wanting to catch Barbel for a long time now. And the only option that comes to mind is Harties...however as you say the stench is a bit too much.

So yes it will be interesting to see what some of the guys come up with.
    "Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing" - Einstein

Booger Rose Banned User

Where in Jhb are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Booger Rose View Post
    Where in Jhb are you?
    Live and work in Midrand.

Booger Rose Banned User

Sorry, don't know Midrand. Use ti live in Roodepoort, Florida and study at RAU. Lots of nice fishing spots on that side of the valley. Florida Lake number one, Emerentia, Westdene. Got a few nice Barbel in Westdene on big Bugger type flies as well as Rapallas while spinning for Bass. Must also say last time I fished these waters were in 2002, lots could have changed since then.

Have you tried Roodeplaat, or is that piece of water also an ecological disaster these days?

Hi

If you are looking for advice on barbel only one place to go, TJB is Terry Babich on this forum, however he does not frequent the site all that much, phone him at his shop details on www.fishingowl.co.za.
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

Quote Originally Posted by Booger Rose View Post
    Sorry, don't know Midrand. Use ti live in Roodepoort, Florida and study at RAU. Lots of nice fishing spots on that side of the valley. Florida Lake number one, Emerentia, Westdene. Got a few nice Barbel in Westdene on big Bugger type flies as well as Rapallas while spinning for Bass. Must also say last time I fished these waters were in 2002, lots could have changed since then.

Have you tried Roodeplaat, or is that piece of water also an ecological disaster these days?
    Thanks Booger Rose

A lot of the places you mention are not so safe anymore and having to carry a 9mm while fishing sort of detracts from the pleasure.

I am hoping that someone has already done a bit of the ground work and say for example;

Dam X
    NE corner in late afternoons as long as wind is not blowing from the south and fishes best in April and May.

I was at Roodeplaat a couple of months ago and took a look around while my daughter was rowing in a regatta. Lots of Hyacinth but do want to go back and spend some time there.

Quote Originally Posted by pieterkriel View Post
    Hi

If you are looking for advice on barbel only one place to go, TJB is Terry Babich on this forum, however he does not frequent the site all that much, phone him at his shop details on www.fishingowl.co.za.
    Thanks Pieter

I need to head out to his part of the world next week so will probably go to the shop and see him.

witfield , jetpark, middle dam . homestead, rynfield and the s.it dam below it. I have fished all these dams and caught. i have tried a few of them in winter too. one of them i tried when i was working out winter fishing at 14 degrees and still caught. another good venue for all year is bronkies. enjoy

Thanks Terry

Had success at Roodeplaat 2 weeks ago and depending on what happens with those cold fronts I am looking at an exploratory trip to Bronkies this weekend and Google shows me some very nice shallows....

Have you had success with a dropping barometer?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast