Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dullstroom over Easter

Default Dullstroom over Easter

Hi All, Going to Greystone Lodge where they have a nice well stocked spring fed dam. I am very new at fly fishing and have already received some advice from the forum on casting accuracy. I am looking for some beginner advice on what flies to use and am so confused with all that is available. Any pointers please?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Stiffler View Post
    Hi All, Going to Greystone Lodge where they have a nice well stocked spring fed dam. I am very new at fly fishing and have already received some advice from the forum on casting accuracy. I am looking for some beginner advice on what flies to use and am so confused with all that is available. Any pointers please?

Thanks in advance
    I would suggest getting a copy of Barends (trout master) concise waterside guide book. Its very inexpensive and will give you more than enough info.
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

Two words - woolly bugger - in olive green, brown and black

Mrs Simpson / Walkers killer

Fish them deep and slow

Hi Stiffler, I am going to be just down the road from you on a farm called 3 Oaks. I was there last year round about this time of the year as well.
    The following flies worked well for me.

Any Damsel Paterns - Red eyed damsels, Filoplume Damsels etc.
    Woolybuggers
    Zonkers
    Strip leeches
    Grhe's

These were fished mostly on an intermediate line about a meter down. Flies were mostly Olive(Damsels, zonkers and woolybuggers), But the Mpumalanga speedcop woolybugger's are also a year round favourite(Black with a bit of blue flash in them). These flies I mostly fished from about 10am till about 4 pm.

Before and after that I mostly used dries.

DDD
    Hoppers
    Adams

And though not considered a dry fly in the late afternoon a white death on a floating line. Seemed to be a killer.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Rudolf

Always great to hear of a new entrant into this wonderfull word of FF.

I would if I where you search this forum for advice on flies relating to Dullstroom.

I will however put down a short list of flies that would probably be nice to have with you:

Wooly Buggers size 8 to 12 (variations: speedcops(black with blue flash in tails), olive, pancora(normally olive or mottled olive body with yellow and orange tail) and rust brown if you can find)
    Damsel patterns olive (like red-eye damsels)
    Egg patterns (might be bit early but still possible)
    Booby in black, olive and orange - when you fish these try to not stop for too long between retreiving then the fish end up hooked deep
    Flashgun mayfly nymphs

I would not be without a floating and intermediate line, vary your retrieve rate and style.

Hope you have fun.
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

I'm guessing that you would be buying your flies as opposed to tying them yourself at this early stage, so here's the flies that I'd take - all of them readily available in most fly shops:

Wooly buggers - loads of 'em - olive and black
    White Death
    Whisky Marabou (this is a great fly if the fishing is a bit slow - chuck it out and let it sink for a bout 30 seconds, then strip it in as fast as you can. You may want to step up your leader to something like a 3X when using this fly as its easy to be snapped up on the take)
    Suspender buzzers - if you see swirls early in the morning or later in the evening, chuck this out on your floating line - it has rarely let me down!
    "Is that the new G.Loomis??? Wow! How much is that??

Oh, look, the new Stealth......."

Make sure that your 1st stop is at Mavungana in Dullies - speak to any of the guides (Jonathan, John, Colin or Andrew) and ask for REAL-TIME info; the flies mentioned in the post is great, but nothing beats 1st hand knowledge of what is presently cooking...

They know and manage many of the waters in the area and will give you great advice.

Seeing that it was already mentioned, and that these are being sold via the auctions {<R100 so no listing fee - thank you guys} you can buy a copy of the booklet (ALL my proceeds donated to FOSAF and SAVE) [refer to auction site] but Mavungana also sells them, but obviously less then go to FOSAF/SAVE after their cut.

Good luck...

O ja, flash-back nymph, small (#14-18), olive - or DRY FLY if conditions allow; and make sure you have some midge (bloodworms) to suspend below a DDD

Have fun.
    Barend Esterhuizen Pr Eng

"But engineering isn't about perfect solutions; it's about doing the best you can with limited resources."
    The last lecture, Randy Pausch

Thank you all so much for the information. Been fishing for 40 years rock and surf and have never had so much advice. This seems like such a wonderful community where so many people are willing to share information. I am truly amazed and can't thank you enough for the advice. Well I can't wait to get on the road tomorrow. Will report back to forum on Tuesday. To all of you have a Happy and Safe Easter.

"Tight Lines"

Steven

Hi Dizzy thanks for the info but what is an "Epol" fly

A fly that look lots like dog pellets, due to the fact that such lodges stocks fish that is used to be fed pellets at hatcheries and sometime feeds their fish in their dams as well when no one is looking
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast