Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: TFO Professional 9' 5wt vs Orvis Clearwater II 9' 5wt

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Ok, so how you going to evaluate the rod based on the cast? what are you looking for? is it the long cast, the short cast, the best presented cast, or its ability to make the most technical cast, good cast with the wind, against the wind, good casting multiple flies, good with long leader and short leader. heavy flies...etc etc....
    Dont be obtuse man i am refering to the taper of the rod and its effective transfer of energy to the line and how that feels to the individual. Can you honestly tell me you have never found one rod more comfortable to use than another? I think you may have completely misunderstood me... To try answer your question, i would say it would depend on the primary intended use. A small stream stick should roll cast nicely for me. But how it hauls is of little to no concern to me. Were as a rod for surf application should be able to haul out a weighty rig with relative ease. Presentation is am inherant factor but good line controal does go a long way towards that. I hope you see where i am going with this... Granted i am assuming that when you buy a rod you know what you intend to do with it. But no matter im happy, youre happy and a rod has been bought. Fantastic! I hope she treats you well Thrilla.
    Last edited by markdej; 11-04-09 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Andre cracks me up :D
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

phew, so many if's and buts. I will admit that I'm not a technical person at all, I don't give a rats ar$e about how a fly line is made and what the composite is etc. etc. I fished with a friend a while ago and he's a total Virgin, and his son bought him a greys 3/4 wt. He fished it for the first time and not knowing what a rod must do or not do was refreshing. So, on this excercise, is where I'm coming in.
    Slow, Medium, Fast....If thats, what you as as a caster want?. How far the rod or whatever else it does.....is up to you...
    I took the guys rod and presented a perfect fly, and I was fishing a 6'6' 2 wt and my next cast was where I wanted it. You might take a cast or three to find out the rod is quick or whatever. It's not as if your'e going to a steak braai with an egg lifter
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    phew, so many if's and buts. I will admit that I'm not a technical person at all, I don't give a rats ar$e about how a fly line is made and what the composite is etc. etc. I fished with a friend a while ago and he's a total Virgin, and his son bought him a greys 3/4 wt. He fished it for the first time and not knowing what a rod must do or not do was refreshing. So, on this excercise, is where I'm coming in.
    Slow, Medium, Fast....If thats, what you as as a caster want?. How far the rod or whatever else it does.....is up to you...
    I took the guys rod and presented a perfect fly, and I was fishing a 6'6' 2 wt and my next cast was where I wanted it. You might take a cast or three to find out the rod is quick or whatever. It's not as if your'e going to a steak braai with an egg lifter
    Nicely and succinctly put! If it feels good it feels good
    I had the same experience with a mates 4/5 explorer classic 1... He asked to see how far i can cast it, and off the bat i could cast a full line!(yes to the backing) i was blown away! Im just trying to say do what pleases you most and whatever blows your hair back, and if possible give a rod a try before you buy.
    Last edited by markdej; 12-04-09 at 08:46 AM. Reason: It was a 4/5 not a 3/4
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

Can't remember where I posted that I had fished with a mates TFO Pro about last year some time. So yes, feeling a rod in a shop without casting it would be a bit silly. You can't properly decide on a rod without casting it 1st. My Axiom is much faster than the Pro but after a few attempts I can adjust to the rods action. It's like driving another car?

I've stopped having an online opinion about rods AND rod brands.

To me it's simple, pick up the rod, hold it in your hands, wave it around like a madman ... if you don't get throbbing wood from it or giggle like a giddy schoolgirl ... put down the rod and try the next one.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    I've stopped having an online opinion about rods AND rod brands.

To me it's simple, pick up the rod, hold it in your hands, wave it around like a madman ... if you don't get throbbing wood from it or giggle like a giddy schoolgirl ... put down the rod and try the next one.
    Yep, I think this is a good approach. pity though.
    From now on, anyone who wants advice on how to evaluate a rod, ask the "parking lot rod evaluation consultants", who will be sure to get you into your ideal stick in under five minutes flat.......

I think you cast the line in.......that's what the rods for, then you fish the fly you've cast in? That's your fishing style. Coming from the car park, Thrilla is'nt buying a rod as a newby, and that was why the posts were about what HE wants out of a rod. By now we presume he knows about the feel of a rod and not being able to test them both at the same time, should not really be too much of a hinderance in the choice making. He should be able to get the woody from the feel of the rod, whereas a newby will get a woody from just being in the shop.
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    I think you cast the line in.......that's what the rods for, then you fish the fly you've cast in? That's your fishing style. Coming from the car park, Thrilla is'nt buying a rod as a newby, and that was why the posts were about what HE wants out of a rod. By now we presume he knows about the feel of a rod and not being able to test them both at the same time, should not really be too much of a hinderance in the choice making. He should be able to get the woody from the feel of the rod, whereas a newby will get a woody from just being in the shop.
    Thats the ticket! I agree, exposure to what you want is paramount! Sadly very few tacke outlets in this part of the world have test water

I've offered our school dams as a 'test drive' venue for several of the local fly shops - but none has taken me up on this. I hasten to add, this would be 'gratis' as a flyfishing friendship gesture - no hidden agenda - maybe the guys are scared of their product?!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2